Bridge position

As a novice builder, I was advised that the bridge should be one third the way up the box. However, I'm seeing more and more beautiful looking (and sounding) cbg's on here where the bridge is amost touching the very back of the box. Can someone please explain the relevance of the bridge position in relation to the box.

I do have some understanding of how it fits with scale length but there are some great builders on here who clearly have, as part of their 'standard design,' a bridge set much further back.

...and before anybody says it...yes, I know...no rules :-)

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The Phry Kid is Great!!!!!!

• I put it were the tone is.hear the the wa wa waas and tune up

• Bullshit. There is no tone in Canada
  • I'm trying to work the "tailbone" out of mine.My first 3 had a tailbone which allowed me to have my bridge all the way back to nearly the end of the box.

But Im also using bigger boxes now and shorter scale necks.My fav scale for a CBG is 24",but the 23 5/8?,whatever a my lap steel is works great too.25.5 isnt bad either for the right application.

• Thanks everyone.....usual common sense answers from the usual crowd.

Appreciate everyone's input!

• I don't like to cover up the writing/artwork on the box, so I always place the bridge closer to the back edge of the box.  So far, they all have sounded good.

I want the first thing you notice to be that the guitar is made out of a cigar box.

• For me it depends the box,but yeah I for the most part like a nice clean looking CBG w/ OG artwork.Thats the problem deciding which one to cut a giant hole in for a reso cone!lol!

• Having the bridge near the tail end does give a better break angle so better sustain and attack,  the strings will therefore sit tighter on the bridge, moving the bridge near the centre will give a boxier sound but there will be less frets on any given scale length, horses for courses!  (-:

• Um... Won't there be MORE frets for any given scale length..?

There are other ways to create pitch to the tailpiece. (Although you make a good point for sure if you don't plan to pitch your neck)
      • yes more or less depending on the position of the bridge,  quick reply in my coffee break!  .... but can anybody honestly say they regularly use higher frets than 12...? (do not answer if your name is Justin Johnson! )  ;-)

This reply was deleted.