Bridge pins?

Another question....I've seen a few builds on here with the acoustic guitar style bridge with pins. Do these work well on CBG's? I've read a fair bit on here about the tension required and wondered if that's a problem for the bridge pin setup. I'm only building 3-strings so I guess the tension is minimal?.....

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You guys are so funny!I love it!

Afterall its just a stick in a box.

I'm on about build 5 w/ a reso cone.Its all for shits and giggles anyway!:)

I also build partscasters,so CBG's really give me individuality,as in find the box,make the neck,scale length,everything.ITS RAD!!!

There is no wrong way,just build.

• My first attempt at a compensated bridge, not my last or even most recent.

Pins are lathe turned bone with ebony dots made from scrap pieces.

pinned bridge photo

When reading posts consider:

Some folks build significantly more CBGs than the amount of posted photos indicate.

Some even build structures in the real world that are required to sustain extreme forces safely.

Some have to negatively comment about others because of the miserable pathetic nature of their own insignificant existence.

So read everything, verify any info given, and decide for yourself what's what.

• Thanks Robert - couldn't agree more.....I'll make my own 'judgements' about what to take on board. As a rookie, I'm keen to absorb as much good info as I can get.

Nice looking job on the bridge and pins btw!

• Thanks, I messed up a few pins before I got a feel for the material.

A trick you can do to make sure your intonation is correct is to go at it ass backwards...place the bridge before calculating the scale length.

Not the preferred method but the fret calculation will be accurate.

One caveat is that you will need to subtract the compensation amount from the calculated length.

• That's the way I do my resonators.
          • I'll keep that in mind. I only have one reso under my belt.

• That's how I did my first few ukes. Then I realized it was ass backwards and harder than just measuring properly.

• Yeah I never thought of doing it that way until somebody asked me to repair a guitar with a missing fretboard.

• Here here...

Also...
      Photos don't tell the whole story, not by a long shot. Some look great but don't play in tune, some might play a zillion times better than they look.

At any rate, sometimes guys ask a question and get a bunch of conflicting responses. There should be no doubt this can be done. Some guys judge it as adding quite a bit of complexity to the build, others argue 'oh no, you can do it, here's a photo proving that I did.' Well complexity or difficulty is relative isn't it? Some guys might build space shuttles for NASA for a crust, other guys might flip burgers.

Have a crack, or don't. Get a nice axe out of it, or fuck one up and learn something. It's all the journey. Have fun with it :)
      • My philiosophy completely!

It's a CBG after all.....it's not meant to be perfect. The 'imperfections' just add to the individuality - and that's half the appeal.

Just about finished the first build and have started on 2 more necks already....much learning and fun ahead!

Thanks for your input

This reply was deleted.