Could someone please walk me through putting on strings and tuning them for the first time? I have snapped 3 strings trying to tune to GDG on my home built cigar box guitar, and don't know why. I have a digital tuner on my headstock set to chromatic. I put on the first (fattest) metal string, wrap it around the tuner, run the string through the hole and begin tightening it. The string is loose at first, and as I turn the tuning knob I begin to see the notes appear. A, B, C... My question... when I reach "G "for the first time, is that the "G" I'm looking for? Same goes for the middle "D", and high "G" on the fine string. Am I looking to tighten the strings until I reach G,D,G on each of the strings the FIRST time, or do I keep tightening the strings until I reach a "higher" G,D,G? That's when I start snapping strings. This is such a source of frustration. Any help form a seasoned vet of stringing and tuning G,D, G would be appreciated from a struggling newbie. I have researched this online, but to no avail, because as a begginer, I don't know the right questions to ask.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  Hi, John.   Could you be more specific about which southbound brand strings for GDG tuning from GB Gitty you have?  They come in a variety of different string gauges.  The "standard" GDG tuning strings they refer to as low open G.   I have seen the varieties of strings offered ,for different GDG tunings, cause confusion before.  

• Witch 3 strings are you trying to use? The fattest 3 are best for d a d tuning. For g d g you want to start with the second fattest. Then it's the first notes to show on your tuner.

• I am using southbound brand for GDG tuning from GB Gitty. My understanding is that the fat string goes on the first string (closest to me as I look down on the fretboard). The second fattest in the middle, and the skinny string the last --furthest away from me looking down on the fretboard). Is this not correct? I thought the fat string was the "bass" sounding one, the next a middle tone, and the last a treble sound. Please correct me

This reply was deleted.