Im working on a build for someone out of a wine bottle box. The guys adamant about not covering the logo and just doesn't seem to understand where the bridge has to go based on the scale length.  Its a 12" long box and i wanted to use a fixed bridge but it covers the graphics and he wants it to have a neck thru with a tail. 

My question is do you guys thing there will be enough string pressure across the bridge to prevent buzzing? It looks like it will be about 4 1/2" from bridge to strings coming up thru the tail? I dont have the bridge height yet but he wants me to use a oak draw pull as the bridge.  

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks for the replies and ideas......

Its done! Actually came out better than i expected and sounds ok acoustic, great plugged in.

Mike

3322581469?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Nice job! Glad it worked out for you.

• Hi yet again, sorry. That's a good idea from pick. Why I came back was to address your question, how far from bridge to tail. Ideally,for good sound, the briidge sits as close a practicable in the middle of the effective vibrating area of an instruments top. Thus genererating  the best tone and volume. 

Putting the bridge close to an edge, either a side or the tail, will limit the quality of the sound. I have put bridges in from the tail at about 50mm and found the output wanting. I always try for halfway to one third of the box away from the tail. Normally about 100mm to 120mm.

Taff

• Not again....yep this may be useful........while waiting for a glue up to dry I tried my Perspex bridge idea and it only took 10 minute to make out of scrap. What you cant read from one angle you can see from another. I'm so pleased at the way this worked out I'm going to use it in the future.

All the writing you see is on the box not the Perspex.

3314733051?profile=RESIZE_710x 3314744909?profile=RESIZE_710x

Taff

• Nice! Great ideas, thanks. After all this hes ok with what i normally use

Mike

• Remember, it's against the law to choke someone!

• A few  other options .

-Get another box the same . cut out the exact spot  where the bridge covers , and  use that as your bridge so it has the same matching print. ( you could also duplcate that part of the print and apply to bridge)

- Do you have room to offset the neck to pass beside  (above or below) the logo ? 

• Putting the lid on a color copier would produce a duplicate that can be applied to a scrap piece of wood in order to camouflage the whole thing.

• What an neat idea they wanted unique an offset neck would check both boxes, uniqueness and label preservation. Pick you never cease to amaze me. Would that be considered "thinking outside the box"?

This reply was deleted.