I am going to be getting some boxes that have sliding lids on them instead of the normal hinged lids.

I like the idea of being able to access the inner workings in case of a need to repair a wire on the jack or piezo, though I think if I am careful enough, there should never be any need, right?

So, sealing the box lid is one option. But, I am considering cutting an access panel in the back just in case, but I hate the thought of hacking into the box.

I am also thinking of making it a bass guitar, so I think I need a longer neck, right?  The box itself is fairly large, so it should resonate pretty well. Can I get a nice deep sound just by using a standard 24 or 25 inch scale, or should I really have a longer neck and thicker strings?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I agree with Jerry turn it backwards, would make a nice access from the back side for repairs later, I love the silver ware and boxes of this nature, more of a challenge to get it right
  • Turn the box around and use the back side of the box for the frong, that way you have a slidable back accsess panel in the back.....you can do what ever you want from in there....I am thinking about doing my next box like that, that way, when I work on it I don't have to worry about taking the strings off and crap. Good luck....can't wait to see these builds.
  • I have to agree I am not really a fan of the sliding lids either. Good luck
  • I have used sliding lid boxes a few times,but every time I do , I spend more time then I want to getting the neck and all the fitting right.I cant charge more for time the customer "cant see" , so I'm steering clear ( when I can) of sliders.
    Sliders dont fit in my formula that I use to get em done and on the sale wall. But thats just me,guys thats not trying to get them done in numbers might enjoy the challenge of the fitting necessary to get the job done.
  • Sliding lids eh? Are these small boxes?

-WY
This reply was deleted.