New guy. First build. Heck. I don't even know how to play,,,lol. Maybe I'll learn. I just like building stuff.

I was on ebay looking at boxes. At first I thought about the fancy ones. They're beautiful. But everybody is using them. I'm just curious if an old, rustic, beat up box is desirable. Let's say I found something I liked but it had a crack in it. Could that be fixed and used. If so, how.

I had it in my mind they would look good for an old Blue Grass looking Hillbilly thing. No offense to any Hillbillies. But I can say it since my family is from Dover Tennessee.

I got too excited to get started and bought one. Might be a bad choice. I all ready have buyers remorse and I don't even have the box yet. So do you guys like this box. Be honest. You won't hurt my feelings. Much,,,lol.

BOX 1.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't know how to play either....not a clue. But I love the box. I've only built about 8 guitars or so and I've tried for more of the "polished" look. I've built tons of primitive furniture so I am definitely going to build a much more rustic looking one soon. I really like the look.....kinda like the rat rod look. Something cool about something looking old with a couple shiny accents.
  • Want it

• I would definately want to build with that one.....

• SInce you said you don't play yet, I would suggest a 3 string for simplicity of building and playing. 

• Awesome box! Personally I would make the neck look old and beat-up too, so it kind of matches, but anything goes!

• Man I gotta stop buying boxes and start building. I just grabbed this one. I'm calling my rustic collection complete,,,,lol.

I really like these boxes. I hope I can make them work. If not, I got chaince boxes for life,,,lol.

MOZART.jpg

• And another falls into the clutches of the mighty cbg! Mwahahahaha!
    • I use old boxes and necks in most of my builds, just make sure to strengthen them if they're weak or wobbly.

TenorBox1DixieMaid8

• So can I fixed a cracked box. I found some old cool ones. But the have cracks.

• sure  you  can  fix a cracked  box  (or  most  anyway  )  .   either  by  bracing ,    glue and clamping   ,   filling  etc...etc  .  or  even leave as  it  .  sometimes  folks ( like  me  )  purposely  make  it  cracked    looking  and beat to  hell . etc  . 

306510588?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

306511764?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

306512507?profile=original

This reply was deleted.