So, a little background.

This summer, I "finished" my first CBG, a 3-string fretless.  It had been something I wanted to do for a long time, and I finally just did it.

I took it along when I visited the Orchard Festival run by the South Westminster Artist Group in September, and got a lot of interest and comments.

Then, I took it to Loveland for the Northern Colorado Mini Maker Faire, and got a lot more interest and comments.

In fact, the organizers of the Boulder Mini Maker Faire, which will be January 31 and February 1, 2015, asked me if I was interested in some kind of jam session or venue.

Hmmm.

Well, at the time, I could only play the chorus of "Wild Thing."  Since then, I have added "Happy Birthday" to my repertoire.

I am not exactly impressive in my playing.

HOWEVER!

I know there are at least a few of us here in Colorado, and some of you villains can actually play.

Is there any interest in some kind of home-made music session in Boulder at this Faire?

-Tommy

Views: 250

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know many songs, either, and I am a terrible singer, but that shouldn't stop a guy from getting on stage, and having fun.  I live in Fort Collins, and would be willing to give it a whirl.

Thanks, George!  I am hoping for a few more Colorado CBG enthusiasts as well.

I went ahead and submitted an application for an event at the Boulder Mini Maker Faire.  I will be there, talking about CBGs and hand-made instruments, and I will bring along at least one CBG and two diddly bows.

As I said, I don't know much, and I barely play anything, but perhaps seeing a fearless fumbler will generate interest in building and playing CBGs.

Well, now I am committed.

Boulder Mini Maker Faire has accepted my proposal for a jam session.

I intend to start by talking a bit about the history of diddly bows and CBGs, and maybe even nail together a diddly bow during the session, and play around with it. 

I am going to bring an assortment of canjos and diddly bows for people to twang on, and I will pick a simple song to teach, then just get everyone making sounds together.

I would dearly love to have some of our CBG community in Colorado show up for this.  I will post more details when I have them.

Hey Tommy.

I am going to try to stop by the Faire. Just picked up a CBG in Alabama over Xmas and would love to meet like minded musicians. I am a Celtic Tenor player and the CBG will work in to what I do. Any let me know the times and look forward to meeting you.

Mark

Looking forward to meeting you, Mark!

I am scheduled for 2:30 Saturday afternoon.  I will be walking around the faire most of the day before the talk with my CBG, drumming up interest for the session.

Feel free to bring along your CBG if you are comfortable with it.

I plan to talk about the history and significance of home-made instruments, focusing on diddly bows and CBGs, then do a brief demo (as bad as I am, I will bring lots of enthusiasm!)

I will also have a few diddly bows for people to participate with for a brief twanging jam session.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but I guarantee that I will have fun with it.

-Tommy

I thought I had posted a note about this after the event, but apparently not ...

The session on diddley bows and cigar box guitars went fairly well.  I was not really as prepared as I should have been, and somehow the notion that it would be an actual build session got out there, so some of the people were disappointed.

I brought a few simple tin-can diddley bows and my one CBG, put up a presentation about the history and variety of such home-made stringed instruments, and just talked about how much fun they are.

I had two really great results from the session.

One fellow told me that he had been thinking about building a CBG for a while, and now he was inspired to do it.  Win!

The other great thing is more poignant and moving.  There was a girl of about ten years there with her father, and she was fascinated with the whole thing.  While most of the people were happy to just stare at what I brought, maybe strum a little, this girl was deeply interested.  She played with a couple of the instruments, asked to try different things I had brought as sample slides, and just absolutely loved the whole thing.  I talked to her dad, and he mentioned that when they left the house that morning, they had to turn around and go back for her hearing aids, and he was so glad they had made that effort.  On the spot, I gave the girl the diddley bow she was playing with.  I don't know if she will pursue playing music much, but I was so privileged to be a part of that day for her.

I may not know much about building instruments, and even less about playing them, but I am so glad I shared what little I do know.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->