I finally made a near perfect cut of a wine bottle neck using a jig and the hot/cold water technique. I'm wondering now about the best way to smooth the cut edge. I usually use a Dremmel with a grinding wheel but that is dangerous and gets fine glass dust everywhere including your lungs and eyes even though I use a mask and goggles.

Does anyone know if a propane torch gets hot enough to melt the cut edge so it will be smooth and rounded like commercially made glass slides are?

I Know I can just try it but I figure someone here has already.

Thanks for any suggestions. 

Bluesheart

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Maybe I can go snorkling while I sand!

• I use Colavita balsamic vinegar bottles - the short fatter bottle with a longish neck - as the necks are straighter than wine bottles.  I score with a glass cutter and then pour boiling water over the score and dunk in a can of iced water.  2 to 3 times drops it off.  To take off the imperfections I use wet dry sandpaper dipping the slide in water often to keep it very wet.  I start with 60 to take out all imperfections until it's totally flat on both ends.  Then 220 and use that to round the edges, then 400 and then 600 to polish it off. Just a 3 or 4 inch square with a small board underneath (to protect the coffee table).  I usually do this as I talk with someone or while watching TV.  It takes 1 to 3 hours depending on how good the break is.

• I'm glad you referenced the time required. (I've been treating 15 minutes as a l-o-n-g time to work on one.)

• Diamond disc and water spray

• Thanks for the tips and the lead Tom T. I guess I just like using a homemade slide on a homemade guitar! Ain't worth trashing my health for though. I think the underwater sanding sounds like a good idea.

• It does not have to be submerged, just dripping wet. A drop of dish soap helps wet everything down.
  •  I have a wet tile cutter that I used to make a number of bottle neck slides. No shortage of bottles around here. The diamond cutting wheel is constantly sprayed with water to keep it cool, so it is perfect for keeping glass dust down. Once cut, the wheel can be used to smooth the edges.

Now, while I can easily make bottle neck slides, I don't do it any more. The reason is simple: Good Dunlop pyrex slides are available from Sweetwater (and others) for around $3.50 with free shipping. For that kind of money, I'm better to buy than take the time to cut and smooth a bottle neck. Also, I've found that the Dunlops are smoother and harder than bottle necks and play better.

From a quality/cost point of view, it's hard to beat these pre-made slides.

• Thanks for the tip, Tom T.

$3.50 (actually $3.79) is a better deal than the trouble I'm putting in. I could re-sell those for $4 and be ahead of the game. I only provide slides because you need 'em to play fretless guitars. I get no fun out of making them.

I do need real "broken" bottles for my own playing though. It's part of the mystique that impresses people.

It has occurred to me that selling broken glass to people could incur some liability if anyone managed to harm themselves.

• Very valid point!  Though for kids, I prefer a 1/2" piece of cut (and deburred) copper pipe...

• Managed to drop a bottle neck on a concrete floor while packing up after playing last night. Ugly shards of glass all over...

Reinforces my notion that I may use broken bottles for my own amusement (I really LIKE the sound.), but I'd hesitate to sell or give them to anyone--particularly youngsters.

This reply was deleted.