I'm sitting here, drinking way to many big mugs of coffee, bored out of my skull, watching 10" of snow melt .....then I see it. DUM ... DUM ... DUMMMMM .... !!! A cbg I call my test mule. All that really remains is the original box and tuners. I have messed with and rebuilt this one so much that the box is getting very ragged. OK! I have sumthin' to do now. But what? I know ... a reso .. I have a can just waiting. I take the box of and get it cut and ready ... but the longscale fully carved neck is a neck-thru. That won't work. OK .. I've got this thing apart, so ..... let's re-box it! I go poking around in my big box of cigar boxes and come out with a MonteCristo Toro .... no wait! There's two! Didn't I see something about gluing 2 boxes together? This is gonna be big. It may turn into a 3-string bass. Now I gotta go dig in the cold, cold shop and find the weed-whacker line. Matt BTW- It's too cold to work in the shop ... so now I have sawdust all over the office! Matt

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That is fookin`fantastic.
    I have been doing the same with old steel toolboxes. Seem to be very popular down here as well.....

Shane Speal said:
    Back when I lived alone, I was bored one Saturday night, about 2am. I got up, put $10 in my pocket and went to WalMart with the challenge, "what can I build from $10 in WalMart parts?" When I passed the home section, I saw a cheap metal black mailbox. I took it home, killed an old acoustic for it's neck and built a dobro:

3137_1045194129308_1209281951_30096627_4624006_n.jpg

• This thing is quickly becoming my favorite player!

I'm looking for more boxes that will work together.

Matt
  • I cut holes in the ends leaving about 1/2" lip. Then glued with Titebond II and several clamps. I then cut out the ends and middle just like you would for a regular neck-thru.

Matt
  • Matt Towe said:
    No drilling ... I ended up just re-stringing as it was. EAD ... top 3 strings from a set of Pearce's.
    Tuned GDG for now. Sounds good, mellow and louder (acoustically) than any other CBG I've built.Maybe baritone-ish?
    In fact, I doubt I'll put a pick-up in this one. Buuuut I do have a cb mic element that was in the old box.
    Tomorrow it gets fretted.

How did you end up treating the join between the two boxes?
  • No drilling ... I ended up just re-stringing as it was. EAD ... top 3 strings from a set of Pearce's.
    Tuned GDG for now. Sounds good, mellow and louder (acoustically) than any other CBG I've built.Maybe baritone-ish?
    In fact, I doubt I'll put a pick-up in this one. Buuuut I do have a cb mic element that was in the old box.
    Tomorrow it gets fretted.

Matt
  • Matt Towe said:
    Here's the damage ... I don't usually name projects, I did once with an off-road vehicle and it developed a life of it's own ....
    .... but I give you ...

DUBBLE TRUBBLE

Looks awesome: how does it sound? Did you have to drill out tuners for the WW line?
  • Here's the damage ... I don't usually name projects, I did once with an off-road vehicle and it developed a life of it's own .... .... but I give you ...
    DUBBLE TRUBBLE

Beside of it is the main culprit ... a newish build in 25.5" scale that I have been playing. It broke a string and it was all down hill from there. Matt
  • Back when I lived alone, I was bored one Saturday night, about 2am. I got up, put $10 in my pocket and went to WalMart with the challenge, "what can I build from $10 in WalMart parts?" When I passed the home section, I saw a cheap metal black mailbox. I took it home, killed an old acoustic for it's neck and built a dobro:

3137_1045194129308_1209281951_30096627_4624006_n.jpg

This reply was deleted.