Replies

• This weekend some buds & I met at a roadside river access to paddle some white water. Nearby I spied a deer carcass, reduced to a clean looking pile of bones. I thought for a bit about tossing one in the back of my Subie, but thought my buds might think it strange. After reading this, I may go back. Although I do not have the proper power tools. Yet. 

• If your buds would think it bazaar behavior to throw a pile of bones in the back of your Subie (is that anything like a 4/4 P/U?), you may need to reexamine your buds (:-D)

• I decided to try bone.  I ordered some on Amazon.  I brought 5 pieces.  From each piece, I can get 4 nuts.

It was $6 plus shipping if you want to avoid the hassle of all the cutting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TGGEWVC?psc=1&redirect=true...

• I'll have to look into that. Thanks!
    • Yeah but, I love the smell of bone going through a band saw in the morning,nothing like it!  (;-D)

• I'll definitely have to try it. Thanks again!
  • Sounds simple enough. I never thought about buying dog bones. Good idea! I was considering seeing the local butcher. I didn't know if there were any special tricks....treating the bone or something like that. Thanks for the help!
    • Funny story about that. I built a cb dulcimer for a friend in France and took it there last fall. Had to put the tailpiece on there and ran into some unexpected trouble (when DON'T we?). Long story short, the saddle I'd cut here was too low. "Uh-oh." Then I remembered her father-in-law is a butcher! Ran down to the shop (it's a very small village) hacked off a piec of cow shank. That fresh it's pretty nasty, grey and GREASY. Rough cut a blank, boiled off the fat, then bleached it for about 45 minutes. "Voila!" (That's French for dumb lucky sob) I recut it and fit it all the same day. Always wanted to tell that story; thanks for the excuse :-)
      Tom@ Rough Cut Guitars
      • I think having the ability to be resourceful is key to building these. How did you bleach the bone?
        • Dropped it in a cup of bleach :-)
          And spot-on: Resourcefulness is the building block in the DNA of a luthier - at any scale. Whether you have one hand saw or a shop full of CNC equipment you're gonna push to the next level and that's where it kicks in. Good luck with it; a bone nut will bring your guitars to life like you won't believe. For fullest, resonant tone it beats synthetics hands-down - I've tested both on the same build. Practice cutting on some wood dummies or even get some scrap corian from local countertop makers. Here's one of the best sources for advice I've found: http://www.lutherie.net/nuts.html
This reply was deleted.