Bolt-on necks.

Finished the first build. I need to post some picture. It came out pretty good.  It's fun to play and I learned a lot for the next build (which I began messing with this evening). Something I'd like to know more about is bolt-on necks. Who's got the goods on how that goes down on a cigar box?

Thanks,

JD

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I couldn't agree with you more John.

Hogs.
    ChickenboneJohn said:

I always attach my necks with screws, 2 or 4 of them...300+ builds and never glued a neck in. It just seems the obvious, easy way to do it, as it gives plenty of opportunity for tinkering with neck angle and action.
  • i have gone to bolt-on necks - i use the cross dowel method - very solid, although a little more work - using bolt ons you can take the neck off and use it on another box - case in point:  just yesterday i had a customer report that the box on the guitar i had sent him and come apart at one corner (must have been defective box) i told him to ship it back and i'll put the neck on another guitar - i also thing the solidness of the bolt-on contributes to better overall tone
  • I've been using bolt-on necks almost exclusively now.    I have used two methods... For the mandola that's my sig, I used a "furniture insert".   That's a piece that has rough, wood-screw threads on the outside and a hole on the inside with fine machine-screw threads.

You drill a hole in the neck, screw the insert in, and then use a bolt through the body to attach the neck.

Easier is "screw-bolts" or "hanger bolts".  These have half the length threaded like a wood screw, and half like a bolt or machine screw.   You screw the wood-screw part into the neck heel, and then use the bolt part through the body to attach using nuts/washers.

• I always attach my necks with screws, 2 or 4 of them...300+ builds and never glued a neck in. It just seems the obvious, easy way to do it, as it gives plenty of opportunity for tinkering with neck angle and action.
  • Thanks Hogs,

I'll give them a look.

-JD

HOGS GRUNT said:

Most of my builds are bolt/screw on neck as I prefer this way. It gives you more adjustment on your guitar and there are quite a few photos on my page  to glean ideas from.

Just yell if you need a particular question answered and I will do my best to help.

Hogs

• I don't usually make bolt on's, but I did one where I used a piece of 2x4 pine and secured it to the inside bottom of the box. I screwed the neck to the pine piece and shaped it so that the neck would lie back a bit and help lower the action near the body.
  • Most of my builds are bolt/screw on neck as I prefer this way. It gives you more adjustment on your guitar and there are quite a few photos on my page  to glean ideas from.

Just yell if you need a particular question answered and I will do my best to help.

Hogs

• drop a line to wichita sam. here on the nation  he sells a tutorial descrbing it very well.  finishing up my first bolt on and am veryy happy with the results, but i know he goes in for surgery tomorrow.
This reply was deleted.