Bleaching wood.

Thought I might share this. I'm in the middle of my second CBG (first one was a learning experience) and I decided I wanted the fingerboard to be light in color. But all I found at my local hardware store was red oak. Well, I did some research, and learned about 2-part wood bleach. Which nobody around here carries, it would seem. So I looked up what the 2 parts were. Sodium hydroxide(3-5% solution), and hydrogen peroxide(30% solution). So I picked up some draino(main ingredient is sodium hydroxide, in roughly the same percentage, $3 for a 1/2 gal ) and 50 volume hair color developer(15% hydrogen peroxide, $5 for a 1/2 gal. I tried household peroxide first, but at 3%, it wasn't strong enough). It took about 3 treatments to get the wood lightened to my satisfaction(a touch lighter than a maple shade, photo doesn't show it as well as I would have liked)

For those unfamiliar with 2-part wood bleach, here is what I did.

Just lightly sand the piece, and paint on the draino. The wood will turn dark, don't worry. Once the wood is saturated, paint on the developer (with a different brush) before the draino dries. From what I read, it is actually the chemical reaction between the two that strips the color, not either chemical themselves, or the product of the reaction. after 30-45 minutes, rinse the piece with a vinegar solution to neutralize the leftover chemicals. let dry. Repeat if desired.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That is very cool. I've heard of bleaching wood but never seen it.

• here is a pic that shows the contrast a little better

IMG_2936.jpg

This reply was deleted.