Have a question about using some birds eye maple wood i have had for a very long time: the wood was cut by my grandfather in Eagle Lake Me in the 50s and he was going to make a work bench: that never happened: i traded the larger planks to a luthier friend to make guitars: i found these upstairs in my shop: would they make a good neck: i will post a few pics: the wood is 15/16" thick, length 36 'to 41'.   thanks, sk

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The youtube video is also helpful: thanks

• Thanks for the pictures: they are a big help: guitar looks great: again thanks for the advice: sk

• 15/16” is thick enough, most of us are using 1 1/2” x 3/4” stock, so you’re good to go?

• thank you for the suggestions: since the wood is about an inch thick, can i work the neck down to achieve a one piece heel or leave it the whole thickness and add on the heel? i can make one fretless: sk

• 4456615837?profile=RESIZE_710x

4456601156?profile=RESIZE_710xHere are a couple more pics to show what this one looks like. This box is longer than some so has a good amount of the stick supported, so that has probably helped to keep it straight. This is the smallest one of three "drop-offs" of walnut I found in the drop-off bin at my then new favorite lumber yard. Can I say SCORE!? This is when I started building and they are all three in three stringers with heavier Speal blues-style strings and they are straight. Hope this is not just more muddle...

4456592420?profile=RESIZE_710x

• 4456261566?profile=RESIZE_710xThis guitar was finished Oct 2017. It's still straight. At the nut it is 1 3/8 in wide, and about and inch and a half at the butt end of the guitar. It has no truss rod. Thickness is about .800 inch. It has CBGitty;s Blues Blasters largest acoustic strings. It has not warped. Maple is harder. Not sure this will help, but it is a bit more to chew on. HOpe that helps and doesn't just muddle things.

Ray

• Not one to give advise, I'll just say what I'd do. I'd build one with a longish heel. Perhaps 2.5 inches past the box. I'd also go fretless and let the wood shine through with no distractions. Happy for you that you have such priceless stock. I haven't added a truss rod to any of my necks, but given the family connection, I'd highly consider it. 

Good luck with your build!

Ray

• Good you got it for free, a birds eye maple Strat neck costs about $200-350 

• i would like to use it as is, like a maple neck strat: i have enough wood, so i have some options: i guess i ought to get some hardware and build it and see what happens: thanks,sk

This reply was deleted.