Replies

• Just do it. The best neck wood...
    Is the stuff u already got..
    Followed closely by the stuff you can easily get for free ;)
    • Since the first one I want to build is to test out how to do it best, I think you have the right idea..Once I really know what I'm doing I can invest in some better suited materials.  Thanks for the reply

• Even for subsequent ones mate, recycling, found materials..
        It's what Cbg is all about. If you're gonna go buy wood don't make a Cbg, make a guitar. Just my opinion...
        • I like your advice. I'm in the process of cleaning my shop and I can't believe what I found...I found a dulcimer that I started at least twenty years ago and in the rafters there's about three very long pieces of hardwood that I can use, They are very long pieces.....about nine to twelve feet long and they're about 3inches by three inches square. Once I bring them down I'll know what they are.. I'm sure they can be used for necks when worked down to size. Who knows what other "treasures" are there waiting for me?

• This one has a mahogany neck and a rosewood head...with 4 strings (used Ernie Ball Super Slinkies), there isn't a lot of tension on it and it is solid.  It has a pretty grain also.305987308?profile=original

• You don't have to glue on a fingerboard, but I think it adds some strength to the neck, and of course it looks a little classier.

• Gluing on a fingerboard absolutely adds strength.  You're changing the grain direction and each piece serves to reinforce the other.

• I know it would be a better idea but I want to mass produce these guitars and donate them to a children's hospital near by and give a few to the music department in my grand son's school. I'm just trying to save some time and of course money as well..Although I have some pieces of walnut that I can plane down to size I won't be able to get to my power  tools until early spring when the weather gets warmer which can't come soon enough for me....I hate cold weather.

• speaking metric, a 4cm X 2cm mahogany neck with a glued on 4cm X 5mm fretboard of walnut should be wonderful!

This reply was deleted.