Hello I started two weeks ago with a 3 strings (GDG) i love :), now I am thinking of looking for a 4 strings. I wonder what the best tuning would be. I did not play the "normal" guitar.
GDGB? The DGBE? What would be easier chords?
Thank you! ;)

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thanks!

• Open A = A,E,a,c#. I love this tuning and I can drop down to open G for a growl sound as well. Open A is a high tension tuning so not recommended for popular necks.
  • Very thanks!
    I have no intention of going to 6 strings, too much contortion for my fingers :).
    Keeping open g (gdgb), but with a more string, will be easier chords that are not power chords, and be able to expand repertoire?
    I would only go to dgbe if it is just as simple chords as open G, or it would be much better to play more variety of songs

• Good point, Titch.  I use DGBE too.   If he plays 6 string already then DGBE is a good way to go. 

• GDGB is open chord while DGBE is tenor guitar, or baritone ukulele tuning. The open chord tuning is going to be similar to GDG to play while the tenor guitar is similar to a regular guitar to play with two less strings.

Sooo, GDGB is best if you want to keep rocking the way you have been.

DGBE is best if you want to transition to a regular guitar.

• Easy answer if you like GDG.   Go GDGB.   At the simplest, you can play it the same.  

If it is fretted, you can make some easy 1 and two finger chords.  

C is the small string fretted above the first fret and the third string (2nd biggest) fretted above the second fret.

An D chord (technically a D7)  with the second string fretted above the first fret and the 3rd string fretted above the 2nd fret. 

Em is the third string fretted above the second fret.

You can slide or bar chords too, but the finger chords are highly usable.

I play GDGB a lot.

This reply was deleted.