I've been wanting a Dobro, but could't justify the expense, since I'm not even in a band, so I want to build a CBG reso. What kind of makeshift resonator comes closest to Dobro tone without buying a "storebought" cone? Any how to video links for reso builds would be appreciated as well.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 305904200?profile=originalI rebuilt this git and used a bundt cake pan...Sounds awesome

• There's also license plate resos that work well...
  • I started making my first resonator.  I went to the Dollar Store and found a small metal pet food dish.  Total cost $1.00. Check out the little paw prints embossed in the dish on the second picture.  I made a biscuit out of some 1/8" oak and a small piece of bar stock.  I don't know how it will sound yet but when I finish it I'll get back with you305899484?profile=original 305900197?profile=original

• Did you happen to use a rod piezo ?

• actually Jef's totally right-I was comin' at it from my perspective, (which is rather one sided!) erring as I do on the nasty dirrty blues side a things.
    This is Mr.Chookybones saying ta ta for now!
    :0)
  • Mr Chookybones ??
    i guess i mean some other brit luminary :D
    hehe apologies all round so sorry...
  • HOLLOWBELLY said:
    "I've been wanting a Dobro, but could't justify the expense" dude take it from me, not being able to buy a Dobro or a National will be the best thing that ever happened to you.I know-I've played Dobros and owned a National-they did not give me that downhome tone you are probably looking for.My opinion might upset fans/owners of the instruments I've mentioned-I'm not out to dis a guitar company and plenty of established,uber talented musicians play em-but they're not for me.
    In life, I believe you get what you pay for-but there are exceptions-resos are one of them.Its just my 2 pennies worth-but I sincerely believe you will find the tone you want in the advice given here, not in a shop on the high street.Lotsa luck bro.

I both agree completely and disagree wholeheartedly as well!! haha if ur a squareneck player looking at a gig in a sophisticated bluegrass or hawaiian gig u really do need a national.. BUT.. if ur into the blues, and particularly if u want to add pickups and play underhanded and fret notes as well, Mr Chookybones is right on the money.. U will be most satisfied with the shittiest nastiest tones u can make from something thats already in ur kitchen right now.. I dont mean anybody any disrespect either, and im gearing up to sell a few of mine for $3k apiece in favour of ones i build for $20 too....
  • "I've been wanting a Dobro, but could't justify the expense" dude take it from me, not being able to buy a Dobro or a National will be the best thing that ever happened to you.I know-I've played Dobros and owned a National-they did not give me that downhome tone you are probably looking for.My opinion might upset fans/owners of the instruments I've mentioned-I'm not out to dis a guitar company and plenty of established,uber talented musicians play em-but they're not for me.
    In life, I believe you get what you pay for-but there are exceptions-resos are one of them.Its just my 2 pennies worth-but I sincerely believe you will find the tone you want in the advice given here, not in a shop on the high street.Lotsa luck bro.
  • Thanks for info, Jef!

Jef Long said:
    hey scotty..
    only need a buscuit if it really is a 'cone' lot of the found obejects ppl using they can just stand the saddle right on there
  • hey scotty..
    only need a buscuit if it really is a 'cone' lot of the found obejects ppl using they can just stand the saddle right on there
This reply was deleted.