I built my first CBG in October, 2014 after somehow coming across a mention of them while wandering around the internet. Once built, I figured I needed to learn to play. Did a lot of searching and finally worked my way through Patrick Curley's LearnCigarBoxGuitar Starter and Blues courses. I then worked through Kenny Lee Burgess' to DVDs on 3-string. I've tried some other on line players like Justin Johnson, John Savage and Nigel McTrustry. All of these are good learning sources, but I was wondering if any of you had suggestions for additional sources for getting better with these 3-stringers.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• think about going and seeing an actual guitar teacher for a few months.  He can help you in  ways that no DVD or book or youtube can.  It doesn't matter if he's never seen a 3 string cigar box guitar, if he's half a player he'll get it straight away.  You might be able to swap a month or twos lessons for a build  You also might consider a banjo or mandolin or steel/dobro teacher depending what it is you want to play.

the best

• another thing you might consider:   find some other people (who are better than you are) to play with / join a group etc.

• Yeah.  And have the guts to stick around the 3rd, 4th and 5th time.  Things will move pretty quickly if you can do that.  Make no apologies and be honest about what you are trying to accomplish.

• Thanks, Eric. Very encouraging suggestions. I want to get better and your suggestions make a lot of sense.

• I am a pretty confident guy, even in new situations.  But if you've read my blog posts, you get the sense that I've nearly peed myself from fear a couple times.  Still, it is well worth the growing experience.

No one is going to cut you.

• Slowly beginning to come out of the closet (so to speak) and play around other people. Even played with another 3-string player earlier this week. Confidence does build as you realize that you can actually play these things. All good stuff.

• That's always a good idea. Just need to find some folks that will let me sit in.

• Truth. Play up, not down (in terms of your ability versus theirs).
  • I try to play every day. I listen to all kinds of music and watch others as often as I can.
    I started building CBGs last August and have been working out how to play since.
    I have to say that I have improved. Even my wife likes what she hears.
    At first, I was really awful but gradually it is coming. I'm not good by any shakes, but at least it sounds like music, now.
    Great responses, eyes and ears are still open...
    • Greg, I think the best advice so far is to play, play, play. Still, at some point, a little guidance in playing technique will be beneficial for just about anyone.

I have found a lot of stuff on slide play and now would like to get better at fingering notes. I need to spend more time playing scales just to get muscle memory improved.

This reply was deleted.