I did a search and hadn't seen this posted. I'm streaming Bela Fleck: Throw Down Your Heart at my desk on Netflix. It's a documentary about Bela Fleck taking his banjo to Africa and playing along with traditional instruments. No CBGs, but very interesting. Worth watching if you have Netflix account.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just saw this on Netflix. Yes, the giant xylophone played by 30 guys is so cool! Also the two banjo-like instruments, which of course, I can't remember the names of now. Ok, I looked it up - I think they were the akonting and ngoni - basically, half of a dried gourd with an animal skin nailed to the top and a broomstick sized stick through it for a neck. The strings seemed to be modern nylon, not a traditional gut. The thumb pianos were also amazing. I have no idea how you would play a very complicated rhythm line and be able to sing to it at the same time like they were doing. 
  • Seems pretty interesting. I've been listening to the Flecktones/Victor Wooten a lot recently. I may have to check that out.
  • Stopped it halfway through to see... "DO MY CBG NATION BROS KNOW ABOUT THIS!!??" Of course you do... :-)
  • okay, watched the video about a week ago. We thought it was very cool, one thought though while watching it. Maybe some African can get dropped of in the middle of the Appalachian county with a translator and get in touch with local music.
  • i love netflix... especially with the new iphone app... it makes the slow times at work so much more pleasant.

• Naz Nomad said:
    +1 ... a great film.

Worth watching the whole thing just for this ...

That was pretty amazing. I just finished watching/listening. The studio session at the end was great.
  • putting it on queue now
This reply was deleted.