Bass pickup?

I have been asked to build a cigar box bass for a friend and need to know if i can use a singlecoil pickup with a tone and volume pot. Or do i need a special pickup for a bass? This will only be my fifth build and only the second with a magnetic pickup so im not really sure what to use.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks guys. I solved my dilema in a manner consistent with W. Sams suggestion. I just bought a whole bass guitar off craigslist, cheap. I will keep the other options in mind for the next one though. I do want to try winding my own pickups eventually. But for now im still learning to build them.
  • True, true. But if you're just starting out, and go with RS stuff, you've got pickup winders built onto the ends of your arms. Yes, it will be lower output, but a little boost from another source will sort that out.

...or you could just buy one like you said...

Skeesix said:

Bass pickups have somewhat bigger magnets, more windings, and a wider string spacing. For where you're at with building, I would second Wichita Sam and go with an eBay bass pup.

You can make a working pickup with Radio Shack materials, but it won't be very loud. If you want to go that route, I suggesting getting 42 gauge wire. There's a guy on eBay who sells just enough wire to make 1 or 2 pickups, which is good if you're just getting your feet wet. Then you'll need to make some kind of winder.

• Bass pickups have somewhat bigger magnets, more windings, and a wider string spacing. For where you're at with building, I would second Wichita Sam and go with an eBay bass pup.

You can make a working pickup with Radio Shack materials, but it won't be very loud. If you want to go that route, I suggesting getting 42 gauge wire. There's a guy on eBay who sells just enough wire to make 1 or 2 pickups, which is good if you're just getting your feet wet. Then you'll need to make some kind of winder.

• ....Or try winding your own Lo-Fi one from Radio Shack parts for a couple of bucks. Button magnets, their red magnetic coil wire, some of that ridiculously tough plastic electronics are packaged in, a little super glue, some hook-up wire, and a jack. You're good to go! Not the highest output but a nice, warm, mag sound you can be proud of.
  • go on ebay and buy a bass pup... that way you  get the heavy winding and proper string spacing... less than $ 25 ought to do it...
This reply was deleted.