Bass pickup

I've been asked to build a short scale 2 string bass which in it self is no biggie even though I haven't done one before..

What I'm wondering is what pickups are out there at a reasonable price, the guy doesn't have bottomless pockets and I'm doing the build more as a favour than anything else..

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi Eric, here is what I did. I split the pickups so that I had p/ups for two guitars.

Here's my cutting edge ba........er, I mean cutting board bass. I even cut the bridge in half. And you could say half the neck, but I can't use the half I cut off. Ha ha.9410917695?profile=RESIZE_710x Cheers Taff

• Not sure if you’ve been to the Resources tab, but here’s a 2 string Bass made from a 2x4

https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/306270002?profi...

• Yeah - like many forums, the talkbass crowd can get into details and overwhelm you.  There's nothing magic about a bass pickup.  Squier sells a short scale bass that has a guitar (strat) pickup in it.   Since it's just two strings, you could just use half of a split coil pickup.  You'll lose the humbucking, but it'll still work.  Or just use what you have laying around.  I have a Yamaha split coil pickup listed in the TalkBass classifieds, but it's not any cheaper than the options others have pointed out here. 

• Those are good pickups, gitty has some split style Bass pickups for a reasonable price?
    https://www.cbgitty.com/cigar-box-guitar-parts/pair-of-black-enclos...

• Excellent, thanks for that.. I had a look at the Gitty site but seem to have missed those.. He's a pretty good bass player but up to his neck in kids and mortgages but would like to have one..

• If he's wanting the classic bass sound (Fender Precision bass), you want a split coil pickup and flat wound strings.  Something like this from EB*y.  If you really want a LOT of information, repost this question to www.talkbass.com

9395254696?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Thanks for that.. I had a look through talkbass and the question had been asked before but there were so many conflicting answers unless you were a bass fanatic you'd not be able to pull the relevant info out.. I've built a whole bunch of 3 and 4 string guitars but never a 2 string bass so while construction seems straight forward the electrics not so much..

This reply was deleted.