Here's a few pics of Wichita Sam # 263, a baritone CBG built of a friend.  Here's the design data:

Three string Fretless, 28 inch scale length, neck mahogany/maple/mahogany laminate,walnut fingerboard,  mix set of gold plated tuners (1-bass, 2 guitar), humbucker pickup, bolt-on neck, brass bolt bridge, tone and volume control, guitar strap/end peg output jack, early P-bass style control plate.

Plays good up and down the neck.  Can't wait to see what my friend does with it....

the best,

Wichita Sam

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• thanks, Merle!!!

c# merle said:
    sounds really good sam - love the simple design
  • sounds really good sam - love the simple design
  • Mark,

I had a 6 string bass set that was high tension/low gauge... since the scale was shorter I used the 5,4,3 from the six string set (D'Addario XLs guage .071, .056, .044).  I guessed right.  It tensions up right for the B-E-A tuning my friend wanted.  I am sending along the 6 and the 2 string just incase he wants to mess around with deeper or brighter sounds.

the best,

Wichita Sam 

Mark Bliss said:

Hey Sam, what did you use for strings? Bass 1,2&3?

Would be interesting, need more volume to hear it on my little laptop.

I was wondering what something like a guitar 5&6 and a bass 1 range might work out like, just for fun.

• Hey Sam, what did you use for strings? Bass 1,2&3?

Would be interesting, need more volume to hear it on my little laptop.

I was wondering what something like a guitar 5&6 and a bass 1 range might work out like, just for fun.

• Sweet looking ride, very nice simple lines with tasteful gold highlights.

Great sound.                     Cheers Ron.

•  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw57BAC5_64

• here's a quick little sound check, so you can get a sense of the timbre of the CBG..

• very nice Sam - great job on the laminated neck - i'm sure your friend is gonna be over the moon with his new guitar :)
  • thanks for the comments.... the box is biggish (11x 8 x 2 1/4) so it does seem well proportioned.  It was one of those builds that I had in the back of my mind for quite a while, the box was prepped and laid back, the neck blank had beed glued up for 3-4 months, but it didn't really come together until some other things in my life got straightened out.  I've been on a building tear lately (4 CBGs in 2 weeks-see pic WS #'s 262,263,264,265) and am having fun again....

305700224?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024 Keep it simple/keep it fun....

the best,

Wichita Sam

• Very nice Sam, looks well proportioned even with that 28" scale.
This reply was deleted.