Replies

• THAT is absolutely brilliant!

And looks really cool too.

Rand Moore said:

305727935?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024
    That looks like the 5th string tuner on the tail end of the neck. -Rand.

• Maybe nylon strings would work better with the tambourine as they require less string tension. Maybe I'll try a tambourine or drum if I can find a suitable one.

-Rand.

Mark Werner said:

I tried a tambourine, a cheap one, and even with nylon strings it just didn't have enough tension.  The bridge started to collapse the "head".

Did sound nice, though....

Better would be a quality "adjustable" tambourine, or even a "hand drum" with the adjustable tension devices.

• I tried a tambourine, a cheap one, and even with nylon strings it just didn't have enough tension.  The bridge started to collapse the "head".

Did sound nice, though....

Better would be a quality "adjustable" tambourine, or even a "hand drum" with the adjustable tension devices.

• I like this idea. Think I will use it to build a 4-string banjo (3 long, one short string). Was thinking one 3-string stick dulcimer (strum stick, strummer, call it what you like), plus a short string and then tuning it to A'-D-A-D' or something like that. Here's the link to my discussion about these ideas. Your comments are welcome... By the way, John, I took the liberty of linking your photo into that thread so as to illustrate my idea on how to convert a stick dulcimer to a old-time 4-string banjo. Of course, the issue of [drum head] vs. [cookie tin] vs. [cigar box] vs. [cigar box w/reso can/cone/whatever] vs. [any other sound box idea you may come up with] is not an issue in the "no rules" environment of Cigar Box Nation.

-Rand.

Uncle John said:

305727935?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024
    That looks like the 5th string tuner on the tail end of the neck. -Rand.
  • 294423611?profile=originalHere at CBN, we don't have to be secretive about building banjos & banjo related instruments. The discussion group is called "Banjo Players Unite!". So, you should post banjo related discussion there, not hide them here under "Building secrets, etc.".

-Rand.

• I'm playing around with a few ideas myself. I would say use a box with a thin lid or material that is thin. I have several xray sheets my vet gave me. I think it's Mylar and I think that would work also . I just haven't decided how I'm going to stretch the head.
  • I just won the auction on two more tambourines!  Yippeee!
  • Tanbourine sound like a perfect start, thanx  ;D

• I got my tambourine off of shopgoodwill.com and it was dilivered last week.  I'll be looking working up a banjo ukulele in the next couple of weeks myself.

• Have you considered using a tambourine as the pot? I hope this helps. Enjoy, Keni Lee
This reply was deleted.