Replies

• For very nice rounded necks from thick blanks of wood....i would say yes, I want a bandsaw myself, but it;s just not in the budget right now. I had a hard time trying to get the right depth of neck inserts in side of boxes. Now, I just cut out my noches in the box, add my neck and make it level with the lid of my box and glue on a peice of thin oak from home depot, only around 3 dollars. It gives the perfect height for string clearence. With this said and done, my necks are very plain jane, but they work.
  • Psssst, you missed that one Roger ;-)

"it's not the size that counts..."

Cheers

-WY

Roger Martin said:
    I dont know Wes,,,, There was a world of difference between my 9 in bandsaw and my 14 in bandsaw.The big saw is much easier to control as far as getting the cuts you want and getting it FAST!
    Speed is important to me when I'm doing a session of rough cutting 5 to 9 necks at a time.I havent fired up my little 9 in since I 1st tried out the new 14 inch.In fact I've been thinking about selling the 9 inch.
    But as you say, if your not in a hurry you can get a good cut from a 9 inch if your careful.
  • I dont know Wes,,,, There was a world of difference between my 9 in bandsaw and my 14 in bandsaw.The big saw is much easier to control as far as getting the cuts you want and getting it FAST!
    Speed is important to me when I'm doing a session of rough cutting 5 to 9 necks at a time.I havent fired up my little 9 in since I 1st tried out the new 14 inch.In fact I've been thinking about selling the 9 inch.
    But as you say, if your not in a hurry you can get a good cut from a 9 inch if your careful.
  • Remember, it's not the size of the saw, it's how you use it ;-)

-WY
  • Thank you everyone for your input I think I will go shopping for a band saw in the next few days..
  • i bought a craftsman 10 inch for 169 bucks on sale and i love it..it is pretty solidly built, but the blade size is uncommon and sears is the only place i have seen them
  • I think you will love having a bandsaw.

I have a benchtop Delta bandsaw (I think a 12"?). It's a bit underpowered for guitars, but generally ok for CBG's. If I was starting from scratch, and could afford it, I would get a 14" on it's own stand.

My other main power tools are a benchtop belt sander and drill press, both also Delta. The benchtop belt sander has a disc sander that is wobbly and so pretty much useless. I've tried to fix it by taking it apart and finding a screw to tighten or whatever the problem is, but haven't had success. Again sometimes this model seems a bit underpowered for the projects I am doing. I often wish it was longer for necks. The belt size is 4" x 36".

The bench top drill press has been just fine.

I don't use the router much.
  • a band saw is one of those things that one day when i can aford a good one i will buy but until then i will make do i personaly dont see a use for one of those small bench top jobs a jig saw and coping saw do just fine for me. now i think i would get a lot of use out of a scroll saw.
  • I don't have one, but I sure wish I did.... I do have a scroll-saw, which is nice for cutting smaller stuff like fingerboards and bridges....It won't handle heavier material.

I'm stuck with cutting out larger pieces with a skilsaw, making sure they're a bit "too big", and then rasping, filing, and sanding them down to final size.

Tedious...
  • Couldn't agree more with what has already been said.
    If you get one you will not be disappointed.
    Hogs
This reply was deleted.