Still trying to make that 6 stringer and need some help....I am making a neck thru as suggested here on this web site and need to know if I need to brace the neck some how, see pictures.....

I saw on the resonator group someone had added a bunch of pictures on ways to mount a neck, I wish someone would do that for 6 stringers...

Also if you are a 6 string builder and have in process pictures, please give a shout out and I will check out you page, I know about Juju and Smokehouse, any others?

Thank you guys for any and all help...hope the pictures work never did this before.

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I generally repurpose a 6-string neck off of "wall art" from my local music store. Saw it off straight at the heel and then drill a 3/8" hole into the heel about an inch and a half. Then I epoxy a threaded rod into the hole and everything below there (body, tailpiece, strap, etc.) can be slipped on and held into place with washers and nuts. It is a little heavy for some people, but awfully secure.

• The easiest and cheapest way to strengthen the neck is to cut a slot up the centre and epoxy in a piece if steel flat bar on edge.This one was built in 2012 and shows no sign of deforming.With a through neck you wouldn't have the complication of this type of neck joint306481194?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I should clarify my question, do I need more support in the box and do I just screw the neck in from the outside?
    • Based on your 2nd photo, it appears that there is plenty of strength in the section of neck inside the box. You should be fine just attaching the box to the neck with a couple of screws. With a thru neck the box doesn't really experience any string tension (except for the downward force of the bridge on the box lid).

The place to add strength is in the portion of the neck that is only a single course of wood (3/4" thick + 1/4" for fret board).

• I am starting to think that building 6 stringers are not for me. I just don't know enough about building one for it to be fun, should I do this, will this work....etc. I don't want this hobby to be like work or even be stressful, maybe 1,2,3 & 4's might have to be enough.

Tom T you have been great in answering my questions, but I was also hoping for pictures, someone to hold my hand, hell come to my house...oops to far.
        Thanks to the people that replied.
        • I'm sure you could produce a playable 6-stringer, but I think you can learn a lot about building by starting with a 3-stringer. Not only is it pretty easy to build, the open tuning makes starting to play very easy and quick. That's where the fun comes. Knowing you cut, glued, screwed, tuned and build the instrument you are making good noises with.

Try a three, learn to play it then ask if you need a 6-stringer to get where you want to go.

I started with a 3-string slider (which I still play regularly) and how have 10 3-stringers and one 4-stringer. I enjoy playing every one of them because they all sound and play differently.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• That's just it I have been making all of these for almost 2 years and some of the people have asked when I was going to make some 6 stringers!!!!
  • Truss Rods cost $15-$20... You'll need one.   

Though for a through-neck design, you might try a piece of 3/8" steel tubing... but for that much work, a truss rod is the way to go.

• I gonna build a six string, but I have a standard guitar neck and will need to do some serious bracing.

Good luck with your build. Let us know how it comes out.

• You're going to have to strengthen the neck in some way. You can add wood to the portion inside the box to keep it from flexing, but in the neck proper, the most reasonable approach would be a two way truss rod. They can be picked up on line for around $10  Truss Rod

Having the ability to adjust the neck for bow in either direction will be a real plus for you on this first build.

This reply was deleted.