Attaching Grommets

Hi,

First post and first build.

This looks like a great site.

Anyway my problem is: I bought the 11/2" grommets from here and got my holes cut just right, but I'm not sure of the best way to keep these grommets in place. I was thinking about hammering the inside lip out to stretch the medal, or cut small slits and bend the lip over, but I thought I'd get some help from someone here with more experience before I completely mess things up. Thanks in advance for any input. 

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Thanks everyone for ideas. These are much better than what I was thinking. I'm glad I asked. I think I'm going with the silicone, I kind of like that idea the best. I hope to build more than one so eventually I'll try these other ideas and see which one I like the best. 

Huntz, I'd like to do that in the future,  but at this point I don't have the tools or the knowledge to do that. That'll be another question when I'm ready. 

• I drill my hole 1/8" to 3/16" bigger than the grommet hole then hot glue the space between the edge of the grommet and the hole on the backside of the box. I wear a glove on the hand that holds the grommet on the front side of the box so I don't burn the digits. Hold it in place for a minute os so and done. They do not move and will not fall out.

• I buy the 1 inch brass grommets from Gitty. Drill a 7/8 inch hole with a Forstner bit, and they press fit nice and tight.

• And chamfer the top edge of the hole to clear the radius so they sit flush with the top of the box.

• I have also used silicone caulking and Gel type crazy glue

• Elmers white glue or Titebond will work just fine.

This reply was deleted.