Ash Neck?

Anyone here tried using white ash for their necks?  What'd you think?

I mill most of my own lumber and have piles of oak and walnut so I'm pretty familiar with them and confident of their stability as CBG necks.  But, I just traded for a hundred or so board feet of white ash.  Its gorgeous and dense, but how does it stand up to string pressure? Is it more likely to bend?

Only thing I know about ash is folks make baseball bats and boats out of it.  Both, I guess, because it bends rather than breaks (well, until Bo Jackson breaks it over his knee).

My standard neck blank is 1-1/2" wide by 3/4" thick, carved down to round out the back.  Then, I laminate on a 1/4" thick fretboard - usually either oak or walnut.

Do you think my ash necks will bend too much on a 4 string CBG?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Great wood, just make sure that it is quarter sawn. I've made over 30 guitars with it, holds up straight and true very well, with or without a glued on fret board.

• I have used it and I feel it has a lovely sustain and sound.
    And its easy to work.
    Can splinter like pine though.

Seems ok with my 3 string.
    Thumbs up from me
    Bug
  • Well, I played around with it in the shop, doing a couple of tests to see how it bent under load compared to the oak I have.  It bent *slightly* more under the same load (25 lbs on a 30 inch span for 3 hours, 1 1/2" X 3/4" stock), but not enough to make me worry about using it.

So, I'm all in.  I cranked out 16 necks to use for a batch of student guitars for a class at the local ArtsCenter this November.  I'm very happy with the looks so far of the one I completed as a test.  You can't see the ash that well in this pic, but really looks nice with just an oil finish:

305904956?profile=original

• Thanks guys - looks like I might have picked up a bunch of nice guitar necks!  John, from that site you linked to, it looks to me that ash is very similar to the oak and walnut I'm used to, though a bit harder.  Hard is good for fretboards, so I'll cut some down to check out as those, too.

Excited to have some 'sperimentin' to do.

• Interesting site John I may read over in more detail one day.

• You can look up the characteristics of various woods on sites like this one. Ash looks like a rather good choice. I hope this is of some help.

All the best.

John

• Laminating the fretboards on also helps them to stay straight.

• I have a piece here at the shop it should do fine as a neck. It would be hard to shape though it is hard as a rock. All wood bends over time nothing to do for that except a truss rod.

• For what it is worth I have used yellow ash with success. However I must say the ash I have came from 2x4 studs out of a one hundred y/old house. I know the circumstance is different, but...

This reply was deleted.