As said in another post, I received several empty boxes today at a local cigar store. Some were obviously not big enough for a standard cigar box guitar build unless you wanted to somehow glue them together in a manner that may work for that particular purpose. Too much energy and work to do that by me though, but I was wondering if there is any best measurement size for a box to make a standard cigar box guitar with? I now there are small variances by the mm or inches on many, but I am just looking for a guide for a stock or typical standard box to use. I am not so prone to liking a long, thin box or even one that is overly huge and squared off. I am thinking an 11" X 7.5 or slight larger would fit into my thoughts of what a stock body is for the CBG build. Am I in the ballpark or not?  I am assuming that a tenor CBG is really most often one that is more narrow from side to side of the body. Say 9.5" X 6.5" or so.

I picked up some 7.5" X 9.5" Arturo Fuente boxes and a large, square on at 9 3/4" X 9 2/2". I also picked up some at 6" X 9.5" and 9 3/4" X 8" X 2" Punch boxes, a 6.5" X 9.5" X 2 1/8" Perdomo and a 7.5 X 8" X 2 1/8" Perdomo. My last box was a small 6.5" X 9" X 2" Rocky Patel box.  Are all of these sizes fairly good to make a standard CBG with or are any too small for the stock standard and more fitting to make a tenor guitar out of? 

Thanks....

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 306336227?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024I use boxes from 6" x 5 "  right up to 12" x 9" .....they're all good!  :-)

• Dude. It's simple. Make the thing you want. From the thing you got for free from the trash. Learn stuff. Repeat. Come back here and pose as an expert to the next sucker.
    • Brilliant!

Really, there is no "Wrong" box.  I'm up to 20 or so, and I use the really thin boxes with magnetic pickups.  Bigger boxes are acoustically louder... Really small boxes make great Ukes!  Boxes I screw up on?  They store parts, strings, picks, etc...

This reply was deleted.