I've got a collection of 1st (E) and 2nd (B) strings.  Does anyone have a use for these?  I found that I can make diddley bows using the 6th (low E) string, but don't know what to do with the others.  I would gladly mail them to anyone who wants them.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I myself would use those for canjos. I mean why not? I make both single string, and also have made a two string canjo. Those strings would work just as well as any other. It just changes the key its in.

If you really want to give them away.....

• So, are you buying six-string sets?  Is that why you have a collection of extras?

I've been buying them individually, either from Amazon or my local Guitar Center.

• I get six-string sets on Amazon.  At first I could get 3 sets for a little more than $5 total, but they have raised the price to about $10.00.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001677QO4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_...

• You can get a full set (not good, but not bad) on eBay for £1 if your willing to wait 6 weeks on them coming from China.

I'm not sure what £1 is in dollars.. $0.60c ?

I order 8 sets for the same price as 20 cigs.

If I'm gifting a guitar, I get a good set but these ones do me for general testing and personal builds.

• Musicians Friend has their house brand strings set of six for a couple bucks and free shipping (no affiliation).
  • I use thin strings for canjos... I typically give away thin strings to parents who want to have a fun project to build with their kid...
  • Diddly bow's for kids. Try building sympathetic strings inside the box. Short scale instruments.

• Fomhorach, can you elaborate?

First, if you are saying "Diddly bows are for kids," I would disagree with that.  Diddly bows, or one-string guitars, are a great simplified introduction to hand-made instruments, but they are not only for kids.

Second, even if you view a diddly bow as a children's instrument, I would hope you are not lacking respect for kids.  Kids are people, too.  Just shorter.  And naive.  And often sticky.

I like the idea of resonating strings inside the box, though.  That's something to think about.

-Tommy

• Diddly bow's are a great introduction to musical instruments. Yup, they are not just for kids but kids love them and loving music creation is the key to a lasting love of of all kinds of musical instruments. I think there's nothing worse than a kid being made to take lessons. I believe it drives them away from playing. Give them something noisey that they can get really creative on and let them rip. It doesn't take a long time to make a simple one so get them strings on and give the gift of music. I'll add a picture of my efforts of sympathetic strings inside the box.

IMG_20160703_194028.jpg

• Oh, thank you for that picture, that just makes my head spin.  Do you have a recording of what that sounds like?

Also, I appreciate your clarification about diddly bows and kids.  I've made and given away a number of them, mostly but not exclusively to kids.

This reply was deleted.