Replies

• I usually heat up the part with a torch until it just starts to glow and then douse it in vinegar.

• Birchwood Casey has a product called Brass Black for aging brass. You can get it from Brownells gunsmith supplies. I haven't used it myself but hear it works pretty well. Just brush it on I think.

• Heat it with a propane torch.

• scuffing and using ammonia may work with old solis stuff. I tried this with a brass plated key and the brass was so thin it ate right through to the steel!

• To age gun barrels some people bury them in coffee grinds

• Soak in laquer thinner for a 5-10min., wire brush or steelwool to clean...disolve baking soda in water till no more will disolve and spritz on clean brass...let dry and repeat...OR..there is a gunsmithing product called Brassblack...quik, chemical ageing...

• Keep it in your pocket, handle it a lot, scuff the protective coating off it with some steel wool, let it soak in acid (apple cider vinegar) for a coupla hours, handle it some more, put it on a string and tie it to your car bumper for a week - lots of aging methods.
  • Not had a go myself but heard of people using cider vinegar

also found this link on the subject which looks interesting

http://www.steampunklab.com/howToAgeBrass.php

• The Steampunk article mentions ammonia fuming--this will also turn oak brown (the vapors react with the tannin).

This reply was deleted.