Just curious...

after downloading the CBG chord form sheets and playing around with a number of tab sheets, I am starting to see (or maybe hear, LOL) that not all the chords sound full. Yes, I know I'm only playing on 3 strings, but some chords on it sound nice and full, and others sound thin, and some just sound plain ol' out of tune...even though my CBG is tuned fine. So I was thinking, to fatten up the sound a bit to maybe look into some of the octave effect stomp boxes. I've been eyeing the Pitch Fork box by electro-harmonix. I love the sounds that can be gotten with it.

Anyway, I was just wondering if others around here have played their CBG's though these devices and what they thought...

Anyone?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just got a TC Electronics Sub N Up. I like it, but now I need a looper so I can play over the weird organ - subsonic bass lines the thing can make. I wayyyyyyy prefer fuzz, overdrive and reverb, but I'm pretty sure I'll keep the octave pedal. I don't know as though it makes it sound more full, it's pretty serious modulation. A light clean chorus might be better for fullness?

• As long as you don't play it really loud or with a lot of bass in it. Remember that most guitar speakers aren't designed to play bass through them. Over time it will start loosening the speaker cone from the magnet. 

Use the effect to enhance your sound. Just to hear it. Not to overpower it. 

Yeas ago I had a bass player friend who got ahold of some cheap 10 inch guitar speakers. So we hooked them up to his 2x18 Fender Bassmen amp. He cranked it. Slapped that low E. Nothing. Instantly fried. Not even a bleep. We were kinda hoping for smoke and fire.  : )

• that sounds more like overpowered and burned the voice coils.

Usually a Bass will tear the cones of speakers not designed for bass, it pushes and HOLDS the cone at the extremes of travel because its a lower frequency then the designed elasticity of the cone's rim.

• Ya, we were a bunch of kids back then. Would have been cooler if it smoked and sparked a bit. : )

• Pirotechnics! Always a crowd pleaser.

• I have an Eelectro Harmonix POG 2. It can add a bit of bottom end that sounds good. But have to e careful how much and how loud. A heavy low end can damage smaller speakers and some 12s as well. 

• Do you think it would hurt my Roland Micro Cube GX?

• My Roland Microcube has an octave mix setting, it does sound interesting.. perhaps a light chorus setting might add some fill... that and a little reverb . . .

I have a Digitech RP255... I want to see if it will do a true octave shift, just so I can play 7 Nation Army. ;-)
    • I have the Roland Micro Cube GX, but I'm not seeing any octave mix setting on mine. You must have a cube that is a step up from mine. I've been playing around with my chorus, delay and reverb settings. Getting some great sounds, but I'd still like to try an octave pedal.

• It's the "Heavy Octave" setting on the EFX knob... It's more of a chorus setting...   It adds some interesting depth...

306618768?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

This reply was deleted.