I've lost several sales because the customer didnt think they could get their CBG on the plane to go back home.So,,,,,,,,,, Does anybody have an idea on how to structure a "full size" appearing CBG 3 string that customers CAN get on a plane? I've been looking at possibly moving the 3 tuners to the back of the CBG instead of the traditonal place. Any ideas guys n gals?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I like it... somewhere out there is a travel fiddle that fits in a small-ish round tube..

PRH said:
    H'lo all,

Just my .02 here but what about leaving the instrument (substantailly) alone and offerring a case?
    My traveling friend wanted to learn to play but was on the road 3/4 days a week. As soon as he got a little headway on learning to play he'd be on a plane, gone for days and lose momentum. Wanted something he could take with for motel jams instead of cable TV.

I took the challenge and made a very cut down Strat copy (Hondo II is a better guitar than one might think) and built it to fit inside a heavy cardboard concrete form tube that I picked up at a big box for under 15.00. A cap for each end, foam rubber packing some webbing for a shoulder strap and this thing is bullet proof for checked luggage.
    If I was to do it again I'd add an outer layer of sheet metal (like round ducting) and a hazmat yellow and black stripe paint job to shock the handlers into being gentle.

The end result was long and slim (the guitar) so it lent itself to this idea, but it may prompt an idea for your own projects.

Good luck,
    PRH
  • H'lo all,

Just my .02 here but what about leaving the instrument (substantailly) alone and offerring a case?
    My traveling friend wanted to learn to play but was on the road 3/4 days a week. As soon as he got a little headway on learning to play he'd be on a plane, gone for days and lose momentum. Wanted something he could take with for motel jams instead of cable TV.

I took the challenge and made a very cut down Strat copy (Hondo II is a better guitar than one might think) and built it to fit inside a heavy cardboard concrete form tube that I picked up at a big box for under 15.00. A cap for each end, foam rubber packing some webbing for a shoulder strap and this thing is bullet proof for checked luggage.
    If I was to do it again I'd add an outer layer of sheet metal (like round ducting) and a hazmat yellow and black stripe paint job to shock the handlers into being gentle.

The end result was long and slim (the guitar) so it lent itself to this idea, but it may prompt an idea for your own projects.

Good luck,
    PRH
  • I've carried guitars on the plane several times and my son just flew with a CBG that he carried on the plane.
  • I travel on planes with guitars often. I had one guitar broken. Now I know better. First never check a guitar unless you own a flight case like anvil. Unfortunately, these cases are very expensive. Go with the "Gate Check". The guitar stills gets stored in baggage, but you release the guitar right when you walk on the plane, and receive it right when you get off. This avoid all the conveyor belts and loading with the bulk of the other luggage.
  • Thanks Sam,,
    Another selling point LOL They can carry them on board then play for the passengers and busk for extra money ,,LOL
  • Roger,

My sister took two CBGs from St. Louis to the Philippines. two domestic flights and one international... she carried them on, held them in her lap for take off and landings and just laid them across open seats inflight...

no problem at all.

the best,

Sam
  • Here's one more, Listen to what he says about carrying a guitar on...
  • It also depends on the carrier. Some airlines will say that they allow it in the bylaws... But, when you get on the plane they may require you to check it... It's been done before to some of my clients. There is actually a great story on that here:
  • Maybe the next time you fly, take a cbg & get photo of you on the plane with it.
    The key is overcoming your customer's objection.
    All you really have to do is prove to them that it can be done & tell them the story of how u did it.

I've travelled all over the world with a mini Maton, similar in size to the mini taylor (much bigger than a cbg)
    I have never been told that I couldnt take it on the plane. Steinberger guitars were made specifically to cater for the jetsetting musician. they were a similar size to a cbg.

Just pop some silica gel bags in the sound hole & say, "there!! now you can take it on the plane"
This reply was deleted.