Ay up chaps,

Anyone out there using a Linux system? I could use some help...

I used to make my videos on Windows movie maker, but since the trasfer I have been using OpenShot.

My problem is that there doesnt seem to be a way of reducing the file size of the finished article - in wmm you could shrink a 4 minute movie to about 25mb. With openshot, my 3 minute movies are more than the 100mb CBN limit!

Any ideas guys?

Cheers

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hmmm ok, thanks fellas.

Still a lot I dont understand, but if I go get handbrake, I can convert my stuff easily? Ok, sounds good - I'll let ya know how it goes!

• yes handbrake +1

its cross platform btw, i use it on mac too..

i find the iPhone preset just about right for my you tubes, plus I have ripped movies to the iPhone preset and they look pretty good on my 42" tv, crunches a typical DVD to just under 1gb..

• Handbrake does many but it does MP4 the best..

• What file type does it create
  • Super Cool!!! Uses yasm, not ffmpeg or faac/flac. Nice! I'ma giveing that a try!

-WY

Hip Bone Bellaire said:
    HandBrake is the best program hands down and even works 10x faster on Linux
  • HandBrake is the best program hands down and even works 10x faster on Linux
  • Cheers Wes - PM'd ya :o)
  • This just in:

http://winff.org/html_new/downloads.html

Has Linux front ends!!! I didn't know that!

-WY
  • He he he, you're a hoot there Ben. Love it. Yeah, tho i'm no Harry Potter on Linux, i do know a few incanations. Mostly voodoo (chickens, bones, rum, gumbo). I will see if i can work up a spell or two. No guarantees.

Im mostly a command line junkie and prolly will have to propose some software installs for ya which might be more of a pain than moving files to Windows.

Do you do facebook? Messge me is you do.

-WY
  • Wes, running Linux Mint Debian, Gnome front if that means anything to you!

Im afraid it means little to me - Im not as techy as most Linux users, so all the code is witchcraft to me.

I have tried scattering animal bones over the keyboard and chanting, but even that has failed.

I do have another PC runni9ng on XP, so I could do my conversions over there on Movie Maker then shift them over, but that all seems a bit pointless - surely there is a prog that enables me to open in one format and save in another (smaller) format, no?

No skype Im afraid, but laymans terms would be great!! :o)

Cheers Wes

This reply was deleted.