Replies

• That would work, but I would use the clip with vinyl covers so as not to short out on whatever they happen to touch.

• Minor correction.

I looked in my Tone Control folder and found this drawing of the test rig wiring.

3705600023?profile=RESIZE_710xObviously one lead of the three caps connect to a a screw that the alligator clips can attach to.

This original drawing doesn't show the 2nd audio jack that is used as an input for an existing guitar. It simply attaches to the positive and negative tabs of the first audio jack.

I'll try to get something a little cleaner for you tomorrow.

• Pretty cool....but why two 47 caps?

• I put two 0.047 uF caps so I can chain a 0.047 and a 0.022 together for a 0.069 uF cap or the two 0.047 uF caps for a 0.094 uF cap.

I figured that since I was "testing" why not give some options beyond the two basic values. Remember that caps wired in parallel add together in value.

Beyond the option to try different things, the 2nd cap is not needed.

• What does a 94 sound like?

• It is different. I call it "muddy", but you should just give it a try so you get a feel for it.

• As long as the clips don't touch each other. A single layer of electrical tape would help. Make a tab at the end of the tape. That way you wont have to dig or look for the end when taking the tape back off the clips. 

• Awesome. That's pretty much the idea I came up with, the electronics in a box. I'm probably going to use a cigar box...

Do you vary string height with different bolts, or do you have different height pickup 'sleds'?

• Hi James.

I definitely vary the distance of the strings from a test pickup. It gives me the setup information I need.

Also note that there is an audio jack on the far right of the front panel. That is an input for a guitar. It allows me to try different pot/cap combinations with and existing guitar. Helps with planning.

• Tom, is there any chance you have a schematic (not that I can read them) of that box?

I'm thinking of using a pre-wire harness for the pots and switch, then I just have to figure how to wire it so that there is capacitor selection.

And another question... I don't build 3 string stuff, but for simplicity, is a 3 string setup sufficient for determining sound qualities or should I go 6?

This reply was deleted.