just wondering what would be the best combination of speaker's to go with this amp, in term's of quality of sound,

i've got a peavey transtube 15 watt 4 ohm amp, no speaker with it, just the amp gut's,

these are the speaker's i've got to choose from,

1 - 8"  4 ohm speaker,

1 - 8"  4 ohm subwoofer,

2 - 7"  4 ohm speaker's,

2 - 6"  2 ohm speaker's.

any comment's appreciated, thanks,

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• pic,

305767356?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• well tried every permutation i could, they all sounded rubbish, the best sound was from the 8"  4ohm speaker that came with the amp, lol,,

so i can either use that, or splash out on a 12" speaker, i've seen some new ones on ebay, the price seem's reasonable at £26.00 ( $40.00 ) they're rated at 4ohm's, but 300 watt's ,  would my little 15 watt amp work with it, ?? 

• Speaker wattage says what it can handle, a 300w 8 ohm speaker is no different for an amp to drive than a 15w 8 ohm speaker.

Now as far as a 300w speaker, doubt it would be good for guitar. No guitar speaker that is of a reasonable cost (actually I do not know any) will handle that much power. That is just a marketing ploy for someone whop sells crap. If you are at all serious, do a little research on guitar speaker that are available to you, listen to any on youtube, ask or read posts in different forums. Don't throw your money away.

• here's the cabinet i'm making for the amp & speaker, loosely based on an early "crate" amp, bought some reclaimed fence panel pine, attacked it with a file and blowtorch, then coated it with some spanish mahogany wax stain paste, just waiting for the metal corner piece's to arrive, found an old lifting handle in the garage that'll work fine,,

DSCF0186.JPG

• GH,

No, I doubt 15 watts (which may be more like 12 watts RMS) will overload speakers wired in parallel the way you're going to. Most amps can drive speaker loads that have impedances 1 level above and below the amps nominal rating, so for example you could use a 2 ohm or 8 ohm total load with no actual damage to the speakers or the amp. You shouldn't run the amp flat out on a 2 ohm load, and you won't drive an 8 ohm load at its optimum performance running at 15 watts flat out. So wiring for a 6 or 7 total ohm load is doable. Be interesting to see how it sounds. You may surprise yourself, and hey, if you blow one speaker, you have others. If it were me, I'd still do the test using various speaker combos, including the 8" 4 ohm.
    • oily,

yes, think i will try out different combo's of the speaker's i've got, wont hurt anything, and wont take very long to do,

• GH,

The problem with smaller speakers is that 1) they don't move as much air as the next size up, and 2) they can have different frequency responses, usually sacrificing the low end. ONe thought I had, after realizing that you had 2 of each (sorry, Iddin;t notice the numbers, was focused onthe size and impedances) was that you could take an 8" and a 6" and do a "2 x 7," or even, as you suggest, a real 2x7 using the two you have. Sorry, my brain was fogged when I wrote the first response. It should work. Why not do this test?: hook up both 7s, see how it sounds (record it, even)
    , then hook up the 8. You could even do this with all the speakers you have available, and do it to your taste. Understanding the electronics is necessary, but your ears will be the  determining factor as to how you think it sounds. Also, you may want to build a test box to mount the speakers in; they'll sound different than unenclosed.
    GARAGE HERMIT said:

thanks oily,

if moving air is the main thing, would'nt the 2 - 7" + the 2 - 6" speaker's be the best combo, ?

i'd use a 10" or bigger speaker, but i dont have one, and i'm not going to buy one, too expensive, just for home use,

• oily,   thanks,

yes, the speaker's will sound different in an cabinet, closed back, open back etc, really only want to build the final cab i will use, have some dimention's, spec's, cubic volume, etc that will suit the 4- speaker's,

cab i'm going to build is loosely based on the early "crate" amp's cab, beat up packing crate look,

think i'll wire the 4- speaker's, parallel + parallel first, then swap them to parallel + series, and see if there's any difference, although the 1 ohm difference in the total loading wont make much of a difference to the sound/volume, or will it, ??

305767405?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I work this out to be 3.333 ohms not 7ohms - not sure if this would be good for the speakers/amp?

• david,,

3.333 ohm's,   how did you work this out, ??

This reply was deleted.