Amp crazy.

I've been a serious audio and music reproduction guy for close to 40 years now. I've always had a desire to actually play some of the music (particularly Blues and Bluegrass) I have loved, but I really didn't want to revisit the only marginally successful 6-string guitar efforts of my youth.  A couple two/three years back, I found my instrument in the 3-string cigarbox guitar and have been having a blast with it ever since.

Along with building a handful of geetars, I've been building or buying up amps searching for "my tone". Audio gear can get pretty spendy when compared to low powered guitar amps so it's been a bit of a free for all purchasing wise when I find something new to try. I'm now having difficulty finding places to put them.  I think this free for all has gotten out of hand. 

Besides the project tubers waiting to become something and ones I have built myself, this is the menagerie so far:

Fender Excelsior

Gibson Les Paul Jr.

Weber 5F1

Kalamazoo Model 1

Epi Valve Jr

Kustom Defender 5H

Magnasync Moviola

Danelectro Dirty 30 

Stromberg Carlson Signet 33

Gregory Mark XV

Univox U45

Jet City Pico Valve 

They are all cool but to be honest, the one I have the most fun with is my $60 used Roland Micro Cube :)

I have a difficult time letting go of stuff but maybe it's time to thin the herd. 

RC

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Can you do us an amp shoot out video?
    • I ordered up a Focusrite Scarlet, some MXL mic;s, cables and whatnot for a little Christmas present to myself several months back and I believe have all the necessary "stuff" to do it now.  Still haven't unboxed any of it to even ogle over it's coolness. Not sure whether or not the camera I have will interface well or not yet though,

Be careful of what you ask for. You may just get it and regret the asking ;)

• They also modify to a valve reverb only
    But then you need a separate amp
    I quite fancy one of those to play with too
    I have a grainger which is essentials the same
    Ratified .
    Nice little amp but no reverb
    • Clean is fine, but I'm finding I really like the things a little dirty with some tremelo or reverb thrown in. I get a little bored otherwise.  

Speaking of reverb, I have a 18w Hammond AO-35 (Ibelieve) that was used for the same in their tone cabs, The same one that Dr Z guy used and modded for his Carman Ghia amps. I was thinking about doing the conversion to guitar amp myself but may just re-cap and use it for it;s intended purpose. I think it would be cool as a hell to have a outboard dedicated reverb unit. 

• http://www.ratvalveamps.com/

For info check out this site.
    I think it's voodoo magic!! Lol
    • Hoodo Voodo ;)   Thanks, I'll check them out!

Rc

• Hi
    Check out RAT amps the chap takes an amp and sorts it
    Changes the speaker a d takes out all the hum buzz
    I got a Bugera Rat (cheap china) but ratified and re stocked
    With some vintage mullards. It's a cheapish way to heaven.
    Sure less than some of these lovely old stuff and works a treat.
    A silent valve amp in my mind is perfection.
    I'm surprised how much changing a speaker does .
    But it makes sense really I suppose .
    • Also check out the small fender Mustang with the software
      Me and John recon his sounds as good as my
      Bugera with mullards as you tweak it till it sounds just right.
      I'm intrigued by the new line 6 amp that uses an iPad
      As I find my line pod ux1 or 2 easy to use for recording.
      • Also get your Epiphone junior modified as you will
        Love it...he he but be careful of the HV it bites!
        • Yup, I;ve got a guy who lives about 70-80 miles so. of me that goes by the name of Twang that hangs out on the Les Paul and Tele forums. He really does some nice mod work with VJ's and even the 5H.  I spoke with him right before Christmas and was planing to send my Valve Jr. his way. It remained hectic after the holidays and never did get around to it. Mine is a later production model with the more substaintial OPT so I think it would be worth the money to do that. His pricing seemed very fair and his work gets a big thumbs up  from what I have read.

This reply was deleted.