For the record, I don't have the balls to attempt this one yet.


Views: 618

Replies to This Discussion

You can do that Josh, no problem!

Though whether it would be worth your extra time, I dont know.

I think 'voice over man' hits the nail on the head when he says its '... a great way to show off your skills....'

I guess there will be a little more surface area for the glue over a butted joint, but surely this cant be as strong as a standard scarf joint?

Discuss :o)
I agree Rman I am not sure on the strength this might have on a steel string neck, the photos of the guitars shown were nylon. I believe there is more tension on acoustic guitars. But it would look cool! And I would bet you can do it Josh, not a matter of balls to do it...maybe with it working exactly right?
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I think this will work for steel strings but I'm not so sure about the max strength. It's end grain to end grain after all. Still, I would have to reserve judgment until I saw some objective test data comparing the two methods.

Really the only reason I can think of to do this is that it looks pretty.
So I had an idea Josh, what if you have the V joint but make the sides of the male-female V slanted, maybe like dovetail style (to make a best reference). Then the joint will have an extra support holding against the headstock and providing more strength. ?


Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I think this will work for steel strings but I'm not so sure about the max strength. It's end grain to end grain after all. Still, I would have to reserve judgment until I saw some objective test data comparing the two methods.

Really the only reason I can think of to do this is that it looks pretty.
I understand what you're saying. Again, you'd be looking at a benefit trade off. On one hand, you'd have the locking mechanism of the dovetail styled joint to resist the forward pull the the strings. On the other, you're reducing the mating surface area of the male/female V at the tip of the triangle (see picture below). Again, you'd have to build two necks using the differing methods and subject them to stress tests to see which is the strongest option.



colin mcgrath said:
So I had an idea Josh, what if you have the V joint but make the sides of the male-female V slanted, maybe like dovetail style (to make a best reference). Then the joint will have an extra support holding against the headstock and providing more strength. ?



Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I think this will work for steel strings but I'm not so sure about the max strength. It's end grain to end grain after all. Still, I would have to reserve judgment until I saw some objective test data comparing the two methods.


Really the only reason I can think of to do this is that it looks pretty.
Exactly, nice graphics by the way. I would try myself but...


Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
I understand what you're saying. Again, you'd be looking at a benefit trade off. On one hand, you'd have the locking mechanism of the dovetail styled joint to resist the forward pull the the strings. On the other, you're reducing the mating surface area of the male/female V at the tip of the triangle (see picture below). Again, you'd have to build two necks using the differing methods and subject them to stress tests to see which is the strongest option.





colin mcgrath said:
So I had an idea Josh, what if you have the V joint but make the sides of the male-female V slanted, maybe like dovetail style (to make a best reference). Then the joint will have an extra support holding against the headstock and providing more strength. ?



Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) said:
Heh, thanks for the vote of confidence, guys. I think this will work for steel strings but I'm not so sure about the max strength. It's end grain to end grain after all. Still, I would have to reserve judgment until I saw some objective test data comparing the two methods.


Really the only reason I can think of to do this is that it looks pretty.

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources


Discussion Forum

Building a Cigar Box Guitar Part 1 - Intro

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Dan Mullen Feb 22, 2014. 6 Replies

Part 5 - Tapered Necks - Carving

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Mike Brobeck Oct 29, 2011. 7 Replies

Part 5 - Necks - Scarf Joints

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Feb 23, 2011. 12 Replies

Building a Cigar Box Guitar Part 2 - Tools

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Wiley Rutledge Dec 14, 2010. 6 Replies

Building a Cigar Box Guitar Part 3 - Supplies

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by ledbelly Nov 16, 2010. 2 Replies

Part 4 - Design

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Nov 9, 2010. 2 Replies

Alternate Neck Joints - The V Joint

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by colin mcgrath Nov 5, 2010. 6 Replies

Why You Shouldn't Listen Too Closely to the "Experts"

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by colin mcgrath Nov 5, 2010. 9 Replies

Tung Oil Finish

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Fitzhugh Sep 12, 2010. 1 Reply

Part 5 - Necks - Fret Work

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Fitzhugh Aug 21, 2010. 23 Replies

Part 5 - Tapered Necks - The Fretboard

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Jul 30, 2010. 5 Replies

Guitar Wiring Basics

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by ian frazier May 14, 2010. 2 Replies

String Intonation Explained

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Feb 10, 2010. 0 Replies

Part 6 - Finishes - French Polish

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars) Feb 8, 2010. 0 Replies

Improvised Bench Dogs

Started by Josh Gayou (SmokehouseGuitars). Last reply by HOGS GRUNT Oct 11, 2009. 1 Reply

mini-humbucker

Started by bucky. Last reply by bucky Dec 31, 2008. 3 Replies

Latest Activity

Taffy Evans replied to Justin Stanchfield's discussion Anyone used a violin-style tailpiece on a CBG?
"Hi, thanks for the nice comments, Ray. I have finally finished the piece and it's fitted to…"
3 hours ago
AGP # liked Southern Ray's photo
4 hours ago
AGP # liked Doug Thorsvik's photo
4 hours ago
AGP # liked Poorness Studios's video
4 hours ago
AGP # commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #523 -''Clean Machine''

""Thanks Doug", I also like the Clean Tones, but!, I like the Distorted Grungy Tones as…"
4 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

The Loco-Motion (low budget cover on cigar box guitar)

"Yeah, the only way to get it out is to play it out, happens to me all the time! Isn’t there a…"
4 hours ago
Rob (Uker) Porras commented on Rob (Uker) Porras's photo
Thumbnail

Flame Ukulele

"I was jonesing to build  something but it needed to be something challenging. My poor wife has…"
4 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

The Edge

"Thank you Derek! It was a fun build and is the best sounding electric I have right now despite the…"
5 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

The Loco-Motion (low budget cover on cigar box guitar)

"Done!!! 3 songbooks containing over 900 songs. Link is in Pics too! Slinger Songbooks Download Page"
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik posted a photo

Slingers Songbooks (900+ songs)

3 free pdf songbooks available here:…
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Poorness Studios's video
Thumbnail

The Loco-Motion (low budget cover on cigar box guitar)

"Good point Kale! It’s been awhile since I have posted the download links, so I will do it…"
6 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Are You Lonesome Tonight: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"The Chugger has definitely become my go to CBG. Amazingly it does a pretty good job of letting me…"
7 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->