I wonder what people think about putting the volume knob on the top side of the box rather than through the lid. Seems like the knob can get in the way when strumming, especially with a smaller box. Most people seem to put the knobs on the lid, in the corner near the bridge.

related question: if the side or the lid is too thick for the potentiometer shaft length, is it better to remove some material to thin the wood, or just buy a pot with a longer shaft?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I did one where the knobs are near the strap lug, but just out of the way.

What I liked is that there is less wire movement when I need to open the lid.

• Hi. I put it on the side, right next to the jack input.
    if the material is too thick, use forstner drill to thine it from the inner side obviously
  • Hi, you would not want to be fiddling with that volume on the peghead as you play, as some player do, I can see one getting RSI. Ha ha.

In this photo the volume is operated by the grill on the top right.

Taff

2930384311?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I like that design.

• Thanks Michael. Might be a case of design before functionality though, not really enough soundhole area me thinks. Never mind.

Taff

• Meh .,,, put em anywhere  ;-)

2877293681?profile=RESIZE_710x

• That's definitely new to me.
      You have a cable running the length of the neck on the top of it?

• yeah,  it runs down the truss rod channel . since the jack is in the head too. ;-)  it's  glued in and   sunk flush . it just looks protruding in the pic .

This reply was deleted.