Adding metal corners

I am in the middle of making a CBG and as one of the corners of the wooden box is a bit tattered I was going to put on some of these decorative corners.

The corners look great from the top but the bit that lies down the side of the box sits proud and is going to catch on things - when others have fitted them what do you do please?

Ignore it ,  shape it a bit closer with a bit of persuation from a hammer, back fill it with glue/filler so there isn't a lip to catch or something else??

Any ideas gratefully received,

David

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The is another style of corner available that is much more rounded and have slightly different shaped mounting (wings) and are suited more for boxes that your type of corner will not fit. I have purchased them at ACE hardware and I think I have also seen them at True Value. They are about $5 in brass.

• The only thing I do is bend the part with the screw hole a little in with a pair of pliers so it sits flush with the box.  I ignore the part that sticks out on the corner.  I've never had a problem with them catching on anything.....they are there for protection and to sparkle in the stage lights to attract beautiful young maidens to the stage like a fish to a lure. 

• I used this type one time, didn't like them. The only idea sort of trying to reshape them with a hammer etc., which is more of a bother than its worth,  would be to use clear silicone or hot glue underneath to fill them in. I am building a new CBG for a customer that wants brass corners so I will either buy used/vintage brass or ill use the brass ones Gitty sells them darken them up. This style works much better on a CBG than any others, IMO.

https://www.cbgitty.com/cubecart/box-hardware/4pc-brass-box/trunk-c...

• I have never added corners because i don't think they add to the sound any, but to answer your question. You will need to shape the wood under the corner so it fits the radius on the inside. Be careful not to cut away wood that may show just what's under the brass. I hope this helps.

This reply was deleted.