FWIW, I am not planning on adding a truss rod to the guitar I plan on making once payday hits (gotta buy the tools and supplies), but I may someday want to add one to a future guitar, so I figured I would ask the question.

Since I live in an apartment with a small patio and even smaller storage, the likelihood of me owning any large power tools is slim to none.  The best I could probably hope for is a rotary tool and MAYBE a small scroll saw (no scroll saw in the near future, though). 

So, without access to a table saw or a router, how would one go about creating a good truss rod grove?

Thank you.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would like to add that there is an advantage to these hand tools.
    With the addition of not having to plug them in they also make much less dust in your shop area.
    I spent a few hours learning how to sharpen them watching YouTube. Well worth the time and effort.
  • The larger fancier Stanley router plane has a fence as well.

• Following on what Chickenbone John said keep a lookout for an old plough plane in boot sales etc. it will be easier to use than a router as it should come with a fence to guide the plane parallel to an edge

• To make a groove with hand tools all you need is the proper tool and that is a router..a good old fashioned hand router or router plane, colloquially known as an "old woman's tooth" (so the "one toothed beaver" gag was right on the money), Essentially it's a small plane with a narrow blade that's bent at right angles. You just take shallow passes and hey-presto - a properly formed, even depth channel.

306077539?profile=originalThis picture is one of the larger fancier ones, but Stanley used to do a smaller, simpler one..you can pick them up on eBay..or if you are fortunate, in a car boot sale or junk shop..with luck nobody will know what it is and you'll get one for 50 cents!

Just as an aside..this is where traditional woodworking skills and knowledge come in...you don't need power tools or try to invent complicated ways of doing things, just do it the old-fashioned way..somebody had thought about this problem hundreds of years ago and worked out how to do it by hand, so benefit from the experience passed down. I used one of these to build my very first electric guitar at school...most people with a passing interest in woodworking would know about this tool, eh?  Ah well, that's the consequence of a modern culture of believing only a power tool can do the job properly....

• Shawn,

Behold, the power of Google!:

Check with these guys; there's a store right there in St Peters. Remember: puppy dog eyes!

http://www.stcharleshardwoods.com/

Or with these guys, per the Kid's suggestion:

http://www.iidbs.com/wdcarver

Or this guy:

http://www.steveswoodworks.blogspot.com/
    • Will do, sir! 

You're quick.  I was just getting ready to google that stuff...:-)

• Best part is, I'm having a lie-in here in Saudi; it's 9 AM on Thursday (Saturday equivalent).
        • :-)

• That St. Charles woodworker site hasn't been updated since 2004...I will still give them a shot, though.

This reply was deleted.