Hi All,

I noticed I didn't see a general discussion or question category so I decided to post here.

Basically, I am in the market to purchase my first CBG. And upon doing some surfing I realize there is a TON of options to choose from. Im leaning toward a 3 stringer. The part Im getting a bit confused on is the tone. My first audio impression of a CBG was on the Red Dog Guitars sight. He had a video of him playing a 3 string that sounded so haunting and infectious that is what initially got me hooked on wanting a CBG. However I also LOVE the dirty gritty sound. So I'm trying to figure out what gets me the sounds I want. Single coil, or pizio? Also if anyone can recommend a certain builder or type I should be looking into. Yea, I know this is the build thread section, but I just figured it was my best option. Any bit will help. Thanks a ton

Adam

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The word is "processing". JohnM throwing the signal through a lot of reverb. Add fretless slide and thats what you get. Buy his how to play cd if thats the sound your after. But you can get sweet, dirty, crunch, hot metal with ghe right pup and pedal..

best yhing to do is decide the sound you're after and ask players how yhey're setup.....
    • Sam,

I figured effects and such were definitely involved in getting that tone. Just being new to CBG's , I wasn't sure how much "processing" was involved , as opoosed to how much of the sound is teh natural character of the guitar.

Thanks for the heads up

• I have a 3 string built by Fuzzy.  I'm very happy with it.

• cool. Does it happen to sound good when using distortion?

• It has a dual piezo with volume pot.  It can have a decent distorted sound.  The trick is to:

Tame the treble.  I use a DOD preamp pedal with the tone nearly all the way down.  Boosts the bass a bit as well.  Volume can be an issue though.  It's an easy trip crossing the border to Feedbacktown.

• Adam, i have a 4 string humbucker custom built by Fuzzy. He was great to deal with and the instrument is outstanding! Listen to his and others vids & note different sounds from humbuckers, single coils, & piezos. My humbucker is very mellow & modern electric sounding. Dan Sleep on this site custom built a 3 string piezo for me as a gift for a friend. VERY responsive and knowledgeable guy.....beautiful cbg with a more rustic sound. TWO GREAT EXPERIENCES. Maybe I'm just lucky. JUMP in and try one. Its not a tattoo. ;-)
    • Thanks Harvey,

Makes me feel more confident hearing that people like his work. Trying for a single coil and piezo with a switch. That way I get a range of sounds I want

• You obviously aren't serious. His name is actually Fuzzy Whitener. Builds seem nice. Just wanted to see if anyone was farmiliar with his work

• i seen this mans work many times my self! in my own research i did on youtube when i was looking to build my guitars, you have seen his work , he builds damn fine guitars and they sound awesome, so buy one !!!

• Im workin on it. Was possibly considering having somthing custom built since I cant seem to make up my mind as far as pick ups and style . I know Im researching to death, but I want to love it ya know. Hoping for that bond with it.

This reply was deleted.