So I'm new to the CBG thing but I'm most definitely hooked. I've built les Paul's and strats but for some reason cigar box guitars seem so much more fun. I've got a problem though, I'm kinda halfway through 2 builds and between 2 workshops. So therein lies my problem, I need to build 2 necks but I don't have the tools to do so. Would anyone be at all interested in selling 2 necks? (By the way I've checked online and they're either terribly built or ridiculously expensive)

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Where are you, Australia? 19mm is real common here too..
    Whit that kinda stuff (decking, floorboards, hardwood fence pickets etc) I like to laminate a few up maybe with a contrasting veneer between then turn it on its side.
    Eg
    null_zpsddc4bf7d.jpg
    Merbau decking (this stuffs recycled, but you can get it for a few bucks a metre at bunnings) with tassie oak veneer
    • Yeah I'm on the Gold Coast in QLD. I've checked bunnings and you're right, 19mm is pretty common but I kinda want the extra 3-4mm as a bit of a safety net
      • You're not understanding me, glue a couple together then turn it ninety degrees so it's on the quarter, see the pic. Necks like this are super strong
        • I understand! :) Just an alternative...

• You might be able to get away with 19mm. I think the reason it's common is because a planed 1x2" comes out at 19x38mm (3/4 x 1 1/2"). I should have mentioned that my necks that bowed were using timber from a local supplier, but I then started buying quarter sawn stock, which is much more resilient to bowing and therefore better for instruments.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quarter_sawing

• nice, so it is possible to do
  • my tool list . gerber pocket knife , jr. hack saw , a rasp , a screwdriver turned into a drill , and a super old square i found in the horse pasture.

• Minimal tools? Build a guitar like this, just using a knife and a hammer...these kids manage to make it work. It's the real thing. I've done it myself like this, just with a knife and a hammer..but I cheated and used a drill!

• Great video CBJ!

• Just for interest sake...what tools are you missing? Lots of pretty ingenius folks here might be able to suggest a work around.
This reply was deleted.