6 String, help

I have local band found my cbg on my website and they want me to make them some 6 string cbg, never done a 6 string, only 2,3 and 4.  I know fro mresearch online that 6 strings put more tension on the neck so you have to have bracing or somthing, any other things I need to look for or know before I try to make one of these?

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Picture Page 3 the first 4 pictures shows the brace system I have used. This brace system is in the red and black CGB with flur delis. They where built over a year or so ago with no problems. Other than I can't put them down.
    • Awesome, thanks for the help.

• The bracing you did inside, will that make it sound more like a electric guitar than a acoustic?  She is wanting something that sounds acoustic but can plugin when needed.

• Check out my pictures to get the mojo flowing. Start with the biggest box you can find.
  • Best to make a solid body if your making an electric guitar if you want a electric acoustic cut a few inches of the side of the the body insert. this is a Les Paul Epiphone neck and a 7/8 slab of mohogany.

RTZ6E

• I just got another email from the artist and they are definitely wanting a 6 string but love the body and uniqueness of a cigar box.  She said she could maybe use a 4 string but she wants to use chords.

So buying a neck is probably going to be the best bet.

• Thanks guys.

• It's the same thing don't worry just go for it. Long as your neck is laminated from a couple pieces at least of good hardwood you shouldn't have any problems.
  • Another option for a factory neck if you go that route:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Necks-and-Bodies_c_70.html

• Have you bought things from them, this seems to be the cheapest place I've seen online, but I know from experience cheapest isn't always good.  What's your opinion?

This reply was deleted.