Replies

• I always use the 5-2 strings - ie - leave off the 2 "E" strings from a typical set.

Tune as normal - A-D-G-B - play chords as normal positions (minus the 2 "E" strings of course)  - or tune the low A string down a full step to G and have a nice open G tuning with only having to change the tuning on 1 string.

I use acoustic strings if that is the case (or using a peizo only), or electric strings (nickel) if using a magnetic pickup (for better signal strength)

T

• Are you even more baffled on what to use now? 

Check out some videos. If you see a particuliar video(s) and like what you hear, maybe you could asked what type they're using and get a better grasp at what you might want to try for yourself.

• Any consecutive four from a set, depend what register u want. I like the lowest four and I like gdgb.
  • you can use the heaviest strings you can get and have a baritone type tone, or you can use the lightest and have a very tenorish tone...

seriously, if you want to have an easy to play CBG use an open chord GBGB or DADF# and slide or fret across the neck....

also check out all the how to play resources, expecially KeniLee's stuff.

most of all play... play ... play....

have fun,

Wichita Sam

• Another way to go would be to tune and string it just like a tenor guitar, @ .32 .22 .14 .10,  normally tuned in fifths (usually CGDA). So many options!

• http://www.cigarboxnation.com/video/a-cigar-box-guitar-builders

Enjoy your practice, Keni Lee

• On my 4 string I use the middle four of six and tune GDGB. For now it has D'Addario light acoustics.

• No rules, but you can tune to DGBE like the smallest 4 from a 6 string, or you can use any variety of open tunings. It depends on what you are looking for.

• Rules???

This reply was deleted.