As a very sad frailer,, Im thinking about  building a CBG w/  similiar tuning to a banjo so, I need your brains here to help me if you will.

Ok, If banjo tuning is  1 5 1 3 5   If I made a 4 string  could I use D A F# A  using the D as the drone, and still kinda keep the same feel?   Would only having the 5th once totally mess things up?

thanks for you help

Steve

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• i made a 5 string one last year with five full length strings.  The 5th is the same pitch as the 1st, so i have high 1, low 1, 3, 5, high 1.

i really like it

153197604?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

• I like the looks of that banjo.  and the strap, too    any more pics of her?

• Yikes! It is way too early. LOL The reference to the video is incorret. It contains a 513 interval. This would work too. String and tune (Drone 1) 513 / gDgb. My first reference (Drone 1)531 / gDbg would work too. The treble interval is like open D tuning (DADf#ad) or  4 string (D drone) f#ad / (Drone 1) 315

Like I said, so many options. Basically using a major chord triad on the treble side, in my opinion might make the instrument easier to play from an arrangment stand point. Considering it is just a matter of changing strings. Experimenting is no big deal. Enjoy.     

• There are so many options. I play banjo too. I thought this would make an interesting tuning (drone 1) 531 / gDbg. You still have a triad on the treble side, but inverted and a first tone drone. Having just a 131 for the treble will work too, but it doesn't really allow for easy chord creation. See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RJ7xxxHTPU

Although, in the key of D, it is still all applicable because the intervals are the same 531. I hope this helps. Enjoy, Keni Lee

• Hey thats a cool canjo! Sorry to hijack the threads intent on four string tunings, but I'd sure like to see more/better pics and details of your tuner installation!
  • I mada a cookie tin Banjo with ply on top, its headless with tuners in the tin, this made it easy to have 5th string,just goes through a hole in neck to screw at side where tuner normally goes. Yesterday put a pickup on, sounds great.

305701527?profile=original

•  I just thought.  I can play some claw  on my uke w/ GCEA tuning , since it is tuned re-entrant ,, I may just go w/ that.  and then as you say it would still be strummable

Mark Bliss said:

Just a thought, but I would consider setting it up as a banjo with out the 5th string. That way you can practice the same chords and fingering as a 5 string on a strummable (Is that a word?) instrument.

I cant say how it might effect you switching back and forth or trying to learn conventional 5 string however.

I love bluegrass style picking, and my brain sees the rolls and patterns, but my fingers simply refuse to alternate like that. So I am trying to learn clawhammer/frailing style myself.

• Just a thought, but I would consider setting it up as a banjo with out the 5th string. That way you can practice the same chords and fingering as a 5 string on a strummable (Is that a word?) instrument.

I cant say how it might effect you switching back and forth or trying to learn conventional 5 string however.

I love bluegrass style picking, and my brain sees the rolls and patterns, but my fingers simply refuse to alternate like that. So I am trying to learn clawhammer/frailing style myself.

This reply was deleted.