Carmichael Workshop built this acoustic version of a Fender Telecaster using a single 8-foot 2x4 for a woodworking 2x4 Competition.  See his additional building notes on his website.

One of the biggest discoveries to me was his use of 3-inch cotter pins for frets.  They're half-round with a flat bottom and would work perfectly.  I gotta try this out myself.

Supplies used:

• 8-foot 2x4
  • Wood Glue
  • Epoxy
  • Screws
  • 3" Cotter Pins
  • Paint
  • Lacquer
  • Tuning Pegs - http://www.cbgitty.com
  • Nylon Guitar Strings
  • Telecaster Templates and Specs (pdf link below)

We found a large pdf of guitar plans, including traditional Telecaster plans. 

guitar_building_plans.pdf

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Absolutely love it!!!  I'monna make me one!  Great work.

• Just make sure to put a truss rod in the neck... unlike that acrylic guitar Prince had you build (and damanded no truss)!!!  LOL. 

You build this, I'll feature the hell outta it!

• Oh wow! VERY cool! :O) 

• Very cool!

• Good share. Perfect kind of project for a recycle day event. We got a wood crusher at work that eats a variety of wood including possible tele's.

• cotter pins work good.  I stopped using them as the super glue used to fail at the most annoying times

• That's a cool little build there Shane. If anyone decides to build one like this, I recommend something real hard for the neck. Soft pine will warp under string pressure in no time flat for a 6 string.

• It looks like the thought of that, classic acoustic nylon strings have a LOT less tension, and the neck is a lot thicker, he just used a round over bit to take off the back edges, not a full neck shaping, so it's thicker and blockier... 

This reply was deleted.