Please post pictures of your contest submissions here. Be sure to include any pertinent information about your instrument that you think others, including the judges, would enjoy knowing.

*** NOTE ***

When the submission period ends on 12/31, I will be deleting all comments from users that are posted in this thread. To make it easier on the judges, this thread needs to end up with just the posts from the contestants. It makes it difficult for the judges if they have to wade through scores of pages of posts to find the actual entries.

Contest Rules:

• One submission per person.
  • Each submission shall be an instrument of the builder's own construction and overall design.
  • The instrument shall prominently and visibly feature a cigar box in the design.
  • Each builder will submit up to five pictures of their creation. No videos please till after the judging is complete.
  • Entries must be submitted no later than midnight December 31, 2013.
  • Builders shall post the pictures of their instruments in the separate "Contest Submission Thread."
  • Builders should include descriptions of their work, including any technical details such as features, materials used, or any other information they feel would assist the judges in reviewing the submission.

Once the submission period ends, all comments in the submission thread from other CBN members will be deleted to make it easier for the judges to review the entries. The judges will review the pictures and select a winner.

The decision of the judges is final.

Feel free to post away, just know that this thread will be cleaned up once the submission period is over.

Good luck and good building!!!

The Judges

JP Soars

JP Soars is an accomplished, award winning blues guitarist. JP along with his band, the Red Hots, has won the International Blues Challenge in Memphis Tennessee, as well as the Albert King award for most promising guitarist. His most recent album, More Bees With Honey was named the 2nd coolest CD of the year by Little Steven and his Underground Garage on XM Radio, and was in the top 5 click to pick on BB King's Bluesville on XM also. On stage, JP plays a 2 string slide CBG he made himself.

Tony Steidler-Dennison

Tony Steidler-Dennison returns again this year to help us judge. Tony is the creator and host of the free, long running Roadhouse Podcast. Tony has completed over 400 one hour shows of the Finest Blues You've Never Heard, and is a veritable encyclopedia of the blues.

Justin Johnson

Justin "The Wizard" Johnson is certainly no stranger to cigar box instruments. His collection of roots instruments grows on almost a daily basis. He, along with his partner Nikki, have been traveling the world, bringing his virtuosity and roots music to fans everywhere. He has begun work on his much anticipated double album Smoke & Mirrors. You can read more about it on his web site.

Views: 20511

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Here is my latest build with the aid of my 15 year old nephew Vinny. This is a Flor De Las Antillas My Father's cigar box. The neck is maple with a black walnut strip. The nut is black buffalo horn. The peg head has a black walnut veneer with an okra decal from jockomo81 on Ebay. The heel cap is also black walnut. The walnut finger board has pearl dots inlayed. The bridge was handmade out of a scrap piece from the neck. It is a soprano scale ukulele. I used an 1 1/2 X 1 1/2 inch x 1/4 inch piece of maple bored a bit to hold the piezo. The piezo was set in with silicone caulk and I contact cemented a piece of leather to the back and then to the low string side of the top. Not much extraneous noise from the top. Sounds nice acoustically and very nice through an amp. Most of the parts and bling came from CB Gitty. This one is mine and we are almost done with my nephew's which will be identical. Lot of fun building and playing.

Attachments:

This 4 string Steam punk cigar box guitar was made entirely of a collection of parts that I had hanging around waiting to be used in a project and it took a life of its own! The awesome Toro Cigar Box measures a whopping 5” deep, 7” wide and 17” long and has a side panel that open to work on the guitar or for a fuller sound.  It was given to me by a local cigar shop and I was going to make a six string acoustic out of it but seem perfect for this project. The poplar neck has an awesomely weird dark grain at the headstock. The galvanized resonator is a chicken feeder waterer that is functional by throwing the sound outward and is a great contrast to the copper piping. The copper pipe was recycled from our kitchen and some actually has 50 year old corrosion on it! It not only goes well with the steampunk theme but is functional in that it funnels sound from the middle and bottom of the box up and out the front of the guitar, also smoke can be produced through the pipe for an awesome effect. The electric pickup is a 50’s gold foil that is sounds great and the pitted chrome cover and brass contacts goes well with the theme. The guitar also has a peizo element pickup mount directly on the underside of the chicken feeder with separate jacks.  The 1920’s hinge centerpiece has a cool look and acts as a conductor for the pickup. The tailpiece is a leg from a Victorian park bench that also acts as a resting leg enabling the guitar to be played with a bow like a cello. Finally the 1890’s skeleton key acts as a bridge.  

Attachments:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I would like to thank you advance for your kindly consideration of my ElectroSteam Sonic Harmonizer in the 2013 Builders Challenge.  As a man of honor, unfortunately, I must confess that this device was not completed until March of 2027.  However, given the functionality of this fine device, it was a matter of the greatest simplicity to warp calendar time back to 2013 in order to maintain eligibility.

Attachments:

Two more tintypes of the ElectroSteam Sonic Harmonizer.  Also included is is the mandatory Sonic Amplification Device.  Can't have one without the other, can we?

Attachments:

Gentlemen, for your consideration:

I choose a "Foundry" cigar box as the box itself fits the steampunk style well. The box's borders and the Foundry logo are an antique brass color. Gears are featured prominently in the box's design.

The instrument features working Thermometer and Barometer, as the instrument needs to be precisely maintained for optimal sound production.

Brass tubing supplies steam to turn the internal engine to create electropolyphonic sound.

Two steam chimneys allow for steam venting and a large discharge in the case of the need for emergency purging of the system.

Four grease fittings allow for proper lubrication of internal mechanism for smooth operation.

Antique brass hinge is the bridge for optimum string vibrancy.

Antique brass plate joins neck section to body of the apparatus

Gold plated jack allows for amplification of sound waves by way of a 1/4 inch conduit to any steam powered amplifier.

Three sound holes covered with antique brass screened grommets allow for direct acoustic energy to be released from the mechanism for small chamber enjoyment.

Brass corners are added for beauty and protection.

Poplar neck is finished in "Aged Leather" stain as to be aesthetically pleasing in conjunction with the rest of the instrument.

Thank you again, gentlemen, for your consideration.

Best regards for a Happy New Year.

Hey there. I've never competed in a builder's competition, let alone built a cigar box guitar, so I figured I'd give it a shot!
My entry here (as of yet unnamed) has a hand shaped "hard V" neck with a fretless pine fingerboard and a funky tuner-less headstock. I thought it'd be pretty cool to have the strings run into the box and keep the bridge hidden to leave the nice Rocky Patel plaque intact. It's got a piezo pickup with a volume pot topped with a "tulip" style knob liberated from an Epiphone tuning peg. The tuners and bridge are inside the box. My standard-issue gear-driven flux coil transducer above the plaque is a valve spring from a junkyard with a .44 magnum brass core. The main drive gears located just to the right of this on the side of the neck is a timing gear cut in half from the same junkyard. There's a pressure valve on the main steam line to the volume control, which in turn drives the gears to said flux coil transducer. And to top it all off, there's a nice little leather "pickguard" riveted to the face of the geetar here.

It's my first run at steampunk!

Attachments:

Two more pictures here to finish it out!

Attachments:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 21. 11 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

CB Bass Guitar

Started by Mi Rankin in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Justin Stanchfield Jan 27. 5 Replies

Latest Activity

A.D.EKER commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
Thumbnail

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

"i See Your ready to Blow away the GRAND STADIUM ! tree strings more of DAR DELIGHT !! Shine Girl !…"
3 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Thank you for the kind comments Doug! Glad you liked the Picture !"
3 hours ago
BrianQ. commented on Dar Stellabotta's video
7 hours ago
BrianQ. liked Dar Stellabotta's video
8 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Project Punch!

" Thank ya again Keith!"
10 hours ago
Southern Ray commented on Southern Ray's photo
Thumbnail

Punch Project!

" Thank Ya Keith!"
10 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on AGP #'s photo
Thumbnail

AGP #527 - ''Led-Zep 2''

"This build really strung you along Alan! Reminded me of all my fishing line experiments; a lot of…"
11 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on A.D.EKER's video
Thumbnail

Im Troubled (Tribute) Mc K Morganfield by BCB - A.D .Eker 2024.

"Diggin’ the slow blues. I like that last pic Andries! Look at all those cool guitars. Yeah!!!"
12 hours ago
Dar Stellabotta posted a video

A Cigar Box Guitar Six Stringer Built by Louie Lamanna

This video is the unboxing and the demonstration of a beautiful, six stringer built by Louie Lamanna. Join Louie and I June 15 at the second annual Pittsburg...
13 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter to you too Andries! The passion is definitely in full swing. Turns out I’m…"
13 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Doug Thorsvik's video
Thumbnail

Hail the Resurrection Day: 2-String Violin Chugger Cigar Box Guitar

"Happy Easter Doug ! the Passion is in full swing !"
14 hours ago
A.D.EKER commented on Ricky D's photo
14 hours ago

Events

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->