Please post pictures of your contest submissions here. Be sure to include any pertinent information about your instrument that you think others, including the judges, would enjoy knowing.

*** NOTE ***

When the submission period ends on 12/31, I will be deleting all comments from users that are posted in this thread. To make it easier on the judges, this thread needs to end up with just the posts from the contestants. It makes it difficult for the judges if they have to wade through scores of pages of posts to find the actual entries.

Contest Rules:

• One submission per person.
  • Each submission shall be an instrument of the builder's own construction and overall design.
  • The instrument shall prominently and visibly feature a cigar box in the design.
  • Each builder will submit up to five pictures of their creation. No videos please till after the judging is complete.
  • Entries must be submitted no later than midnight December 31, 2013.
  • Builders shall post the pictures of their instruments in the separate "Contest Submission Thread."
  • Builders should include descriptions of their work, including any technical details such as features, materials used, or any other information they feel would assist the judges in reviewing the submission.

Once the submission period ends, all comments in the submission thread from other CBN members will be deleted to make it easier for the judges to review the entries. The judges will review the pictures and select a winner.

The decision of the judges is final.

Feel free to post away, just know that this thread will be cleaned up once the submission period is over.

Good luck and good building!!!

The Judges

JP Soars

JP Soars is an accomplished, award winning blues guitarist. JP along with his band, the Red Hots, has won the International Blues Challenge in Memphis Tennessee, as well as the Albert King award for most promising guitarist. His most recent album, More Bees With Honey was named the 2nd coolest CD of the year by Little Steven and his Underground Garage on XM Radio, and was in the top 5 click to pick on BB King's Bluesville on XM also. On stage, JP plays a 2 string slide CBG he made himself.

Tony Steidler-Dennison

Tony Steidler-Dennison returns again this year to help us judge. Tony is the creator and host of the free, long running Roadhouse Podcast. Tony has completed over 400 one hour shows of the Finest Blues You've Never Heard, and is a veritable encyclopedia of the blues.

Justin Johnson

Justin "The Wizard" Johnson is certainly no stranger to cigar box instruments. His collection of roots instruments grows on almost a daily basis. He, along with his partner Nikki, have been traveling the world, bringing his virtuosity and roots music to fans everywhere. He has begun work on his much anticipated double album Smoke & Mirrors. You can read more about it on his web site.

Views: 20515

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

I've haven't competed in a builders challenge yet, & thought what the hell. There are such great builders out there, & I'm curious to see how I stack up to against them. This is my latest creation, I'm calling it The Robusto Cohib-Uke. Any comments, praises, &/or constructive criticism are always welcomed. Hope you like what you see. Looking forward to the final decisions.

Attachments:

here is my submission . a Padilla box , The logo was a print off because i liked the lion better(i can prove its a Padilla Box if needed) Hand painted rusted cage , crazy contraption tail piece , brass eyelets hold the strap , Paranormal investigation license and photo from 1800s were distressed by hand using coffee and fire , marble inset in the headstock , bottom of box was cut off then reenforced with oak , fret board is ink stained not painted , magnet on heel to hold slide . tuning pegs patina , 4 string electric .

I probably should have been more clear, but the pics I posted of the Cohiba uke sized instrument were reposts of Richard White's instrument. I merely added them for him because his weren't visible for some reason.

It started with this strange little "Vudu" box. It's only 4 3/4" x 8" x 3 3/8 deep. Couldn't really figure out what I wanted to do with it and then I dug through the garage and came up with an ammeter from a old military truck and a couple of heat sinks I salvaged from some old computers my son was scrapping. I guess that "steam punk" called me. I named it "Vudu Steam". The neck and fingerboard are oak and the box and neck are finished in a combination of black and clear lacquer. For the size of the box it has good sound acoustically and with the attached hardware and small soundboard it has a nice growl amplified with a dual piezo pickup in the bridge. Old style "chicken head" knob for the volume pot with an ignition switch plate from a military Dodge M-37 3/4 ton truck.

Attachments:

Here's my entry, HATTIE (Hyper Aural Tri Tonal Instrument Enhancer). The neck is black pipe, headstock is the guts of a clock mounted on wood, tuners are remodeled Yamaha tuners with spigot handles replacing the knobs, and the fret markers are fashioned from copper ground wire. The tubes light (leds in the sockets) by a knife switch mounted on the cigar box. Volume knob made from a copper pipe cap. Nut made from a brass bolt. Small gears used as sound hole covers. Tuning is (currently) DDA.

Attachments:

Two additional photos.

Attachments:

Here is my submission. The guitar is yet unnamed.  Hope you all like it.

Cohiba Toro box that is a deeper color than what I normally find.

Copper Resonator Cone from Old Lowe

Redwood Burl and Black Walnut Rod Piezo Biscuit Bridge from Mojobone Works

My own design Zero Bone - one-piece zero fret bone nut

Mahogany neck and peg hed.  The wood is leftover from my loft build out in Boston.  Several nice "scraps" were left by the seller and I have claimed them for guitars.  The peg head and neck are a single length of mahogany with glued on wings to resemble a Victorian table leg shape.

Panga Panga fret board, tailpiece and peg head accents

The copper cone is mounted on the bottom side of the box and I applied a raw Redwood Burl Veneer.  I used copper leather rivets to secure the cone to the box.

The guitar frame mostly floats in the box and is secured to Maple blocks inside.  Remove two screws and it can be taken out of the box.

6 strings tuned in unison pairs GG DD gg

22 Frets

On with the pics.

The decorative sprockets in this last pic are inlayed and embedded in epoxy.  A crack in the mahogany opened up when drilling for the tuning machines.  I didn't want to leave it like that so I drilled into the crack and potted the metal sprockets to reinforce the fault.

Well, I'm not sure this is as steampunk as some of the other entries already posted (which look AWESOME, might I add)... but what the hell, right?  It feels pretty futuristic in an old-school way when I play it!

3-piece maple neck, Bolivian rosewood fretboard with glow-in-the-dark side position marker inlays, Bolivian rosewood heelcap and faceplate, cocobolo volume knobs, kingwood bridge and bone nut & saddle. The "wing" is made from walnut and mahogany. 3 guitar strings and 1 bass string, each with their own output, powered by Stonehenge pickups made by Ted Crocker. 24 frets on a 29" scale.

Introducing SPAWG (Steam Powered Acoustic Wave Generator).

This is my contest entry and it was great fun researching steampunk, sourcing parts and building this mellow sounding guitar.

The cigar box used is a Cuban Rounds, Taste of Havana box, with most of the label still visible on the underside of the lid.  Neck is poplar finished with ebony stain and Tru-Oil and the fret board is red oak.  Neck thru design with 25 inch scale and fretted using a diatonic pattern, tuned Gdg.

The box and fretboard are metal tape wrapped and textured to create an ancient appearing surface.

The finish is multiple coats of hand rubbed Rub ‘an Buff which is a product made from imported carnauba waxes, fine metallic powders, and various pigments that create a reasonably durable finish.

I mixed and layered three different colors to create the surface that I wanted.

The peghead features a glass eye peering through a recycled keyhole, vigilantly keeping watch over wave generator operations.

The string tree tensioner is an antique guitar capo. The bridge-vibrato plate combo is an antique drawer handle made of solid brass, as is the keyhole cover.  A brass clock gear provides the proper support and string height at the bridge.

The copper tubing was found in a box of misc. parts at the Habitat for Humanity Restore and recycled for this guitar.

Watch gears and parts were acquired through a trade of my old pocket watch with a local watchmaker.

The 8 hollow rivets holding the mini light bulbs were found at an auction a couple of months ago and the lights themselves are repurposed battery powered Christmas lights.  The screened sound ports are also lit, providing a total of ten lights for night operations.

The optical loupes provide the aging operator with a lens power boost while monitoring pressure readings.

When up to full power, this baby almost plays itself!

after building a number of guitars in the past this is my first atempt at a CBG. this is my double neck CBG. 4 string upper neck, 3 string lower neck.has 2 piezo,s.  tone tone and volume and 3 way switch. tunung knobs are beer caps. necks are marked with brass tacks. i  use open G tuning

Attachments:

RSS

The Essential Pages

New to Cigar Box Nation? How to Play Cigar Box GuitarsFree Plans & How to Build Cigar Box GuitarsCigar Box Guitar Building Basics

Site Sponsor

Recommended Links & Resources

Forum

Busking Songs...

Started by Nomad Jack in Performances, How to Play, Lessons, Concerts. Last reply by J. D. Woods on Wednesday. 7 Replies

crossover guitar.

Started by Timothy Hunter in Other stuff - off topic, fun stuff, whatever. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Apr 10. 14 Replies

Tune up songs

Started by Ghostbuttons in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Timothy Hunter Mar 9. 5 Replies

Duel output jacks

Started by Justin Stanchfield in Building Secrets, Tips, Advice, Discussion. Last reply by Taffy Evans Mar 8. 6 Replies

How to Get Your Own Music on Spotify

Started by Cigar Box Nation in Feature Articles. Last reply by Southern Ray Feb 21. 2 Replies

Latest Activity

Southern Ray commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

" I was gonna say, "Sweeeeeeeeeet" as well, but that was taken. Very nice. I too love…"
28 minutes ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Any other questions, just ask. "
44 minutes ago
Southern Ray replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
" Hello JD, welcome. I'm a fifty year failed six-string player that got into building and…"
45 minutes ago
BrianQ. replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

"Burn baby burn! Top looks hot Crazed; sporty headstock too. Excellent build."
4 hours ago
Doug Thorsvik commented on Ghostbuttons's photo
Thumbnail

Four projects

"You are a busy guy Warren! Outstanding builds and each one unique; well done."
4 hours ago
AGP # commented on Crazed Fandango's photo
Thumbnail

Frethound 4 String

""Sweeeeeeeeet", love the burning on the Body, have a Build on the Bench at the moment,…"
5 hours ago
AGP # liked Crazed Fandango's photo
5 hours ago
J. D. Woods replied to J. D. Woods's discussion Are metal frets necessary?
6 hours ago
Glenn Kaiser commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Often quite true Uncle John :) -Glenn"
8 hours ago
Gary O'slide posted videos
9 hours ago
Uncle John commented on Glenn Kaiser's video
Thumbnail

GK less Paul Diddley Bow

"Ha, Ha.  Less is more."
10 hours ago

Music

© 2024   Created by Ben "C. B. Gitty" Baker.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

\uastyle>\ud/** Scrollup **/\ud.scrollup {\ud background: url("https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/963882636?profile=original") no-repeat scroll 0 0 transparent;\ud bottom: 25px;\ud display: inline !important;\ud height: 40px;\ud opacity: 0.3 !important;\ud position: fixed;\ud right: 30px;\ud text-indent: -9999px;\ud width: 40px;\ud z-index: 999;\ud}\ud.scrollup:hover {\ud opacity:0.99!important;\ud}\ud \uascript type="text/javascript">\ud x$(document).ready(function(){\ud x$(window).scroll(function(){\ud if (x$(this).scrollTop() > 100) {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeIn();\ud } else {\ud x$('.scrollup').fadeOut();\ud }\ud });\ud x$('.scrollup').click(function(){\ud x$("html, body").animate({ scrollTop: 0 }, 600);\ud return false;\ud });\ud });\ud \ua!-- End Scroll Up -->