2 vs 4 string

Opinions, thoughts, I'm thinking out loud. To build a 2 or 4 stringer? Plan on it being fretted, but, oh which to choose? I'm in the process of building the box from old scrap, it's probably pine. Have a '61 liscense plate I want to use, instead of cigar box. If I go 2 string should it be a bass? Or go 4 string for more depth? I really don't know, I've only done 3 stringers but want to build something a bit more different. Don't know which way to lean.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Four string! You can try two or three strings with the same guitar. That way you'll know what to build next. 

• Maybe build a double-necked one...four strings on one neck, two on the other.

• And there it is. The trap has been sprung, and Fake8pe, like so many innocents before him, has willingly crossed the threshold. What appeared to be harmless fun, maybe a trendy pursuit "just on the weekend", and soon the sharp talons of the dark obsession will have him firmly in a grip of his own making. It's not too late to avoid the seductive lure of cbg building, yet I fear that for you, too, all hope is already lost. Alas, the intransigent hooks of wood and strings will have claimed another. Brothers and sisters, for Fake8pe we can say only.....Welcome!

• stray comment from the peanut gallery: BUILD BOTH!

A pack of strings for a traditional guitar has 6 strings in them, 4 for 1 git, the leftover 2 for the other.

• Right answer!!!

• I  vote  for  2  ,   a  power-chord work horse ,   fun as  hell  . wail  on  it  without  chance  of  open string  ring  and  involuntary  contact  .  an  strum  it  like  a sub-machine bow (gun)  .   ;-)

but  .. dont  take  my  word for  it  ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWXKffSLGlc

This reply was deleted.