2 Stringer Build

Here's a 2 stringer I finished all but the electronics on tonight. I'll also probably change the tailpiece if I find something I like at Hobby Lobby or elsewhere.

This was kind of a recovery of a diddley bow project for another coffin box build. I botched cutting the scarf joint on the neck dowel, a 1" square poplar dowel. I put it aside a while but I went back to it to try to figure out what to do with it. I had a leftover piece of 1' by 2.5" by .75" oak from another project so I cut a Fender-ish headstock using it and glued it to the poplar neck. I used a sort of a lap joint reinforced with a dowel.

I also tried an antiquing technique on the neck. I rubbed in antique wax, typically used chalk paint furniture restorations, on the neck first. Then, after that dried, I applied several coats of polyurethane light oak stain over it. That gave a nice distressed finish all over the neck and headstock.

The dot markers are a regular tortoiseshell guitar pick cut out with a hole punch. The bridge and nut are threaded rod painted copper. It has standard acoustic guitar frets. The cigar box is one that I had that is on the smallish side so I decided to use it.

For electronics, I'm probably going to go with a disc piezo pickup for now.

I used a high E and G string and tuned it to G-D. The action came out a bit high but it's intended for slide playing so that's OK.

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• looks nice the tail piece could do a bit shortening though.

This reply was deleted.