I have built 4 CBG's and I want to try something new. I have a small box and would like to put together a 2 string bass. Questions: what scale...what strings...tuning... neck length. Any thoughts and recommendations. My building skills are pretty good so I should be able to put together a good one with some help from you guys...Peter

You need to be a member of Cigar Box Nation to add comments!

Join Cigar Box Nation

Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It is unfortunate that occasionally, a question will go unanswered. This is not a particularly large site, but it still contains 132 groups and 8 forums where members can ask for advice. I try as much as I can to watch for any posts that nobody has replied to.I know others do as well.

More often than not, other members simply don't notice that someone has not received a reply to their question. In some cases, the question may be one that has been asked numerous times before, and some members simply don't wish to answer it again.

Or, the inquiring member simply did not search the site for the answer, or did search, but did not receive the search response that answered their question. I know from personal experience that there are posts/threads on this site that contain the information I am looking for, but for whatever reason, I am unable to locate it easily.

Don't forget that not everyone is technically savvy about navigating the internet, and may not be forum gurus with experience in searching for information.

You are correct though, it can be disappointing when you post a question, looking for some help, and nobody responds.

• I have a piece of 1x2 hickory and will laminate a piece of oak for the fret board. The 27 inch scale is what I'm looking for along with the tuning. Its more of an experiment just wanted a friend to play along while playing my 4 string. I was even thinking of a 3 string using 6 5 4 from the set of 6. Tuning them to open E. This will be an electric (piezo 27mm). Thanks for the reply...Peter

Dan Sleep said:

I built a 2 stringer and I used a 27 inch scale. I laminated two 1x2s together side by side, wide sides facing, which made for a super strong neck. I used the A and D strings, but I supposed I could have used any one of the regular 4 strings. I used two old bass tuning pegs. I have a couple pictures of it on my page here.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/gorilla-bass-003a?context=user

• Someone always gives some advice, after all this is a great place for us to gather and share; otherwise I would play more golf...Peter 

Kevin O'Connor said:

It bothers me when I don't get any answers to my questions too. I'm not a bass builder, but I think that one of the bass groups on this site could help you with your questions. Sorry I'm not any help to you.

• I built a 2 stringer and I used a 27 inch scale. I laminated two 1x2s together side by side, wide sides facing, which made for a super strong neck. I used the A and D strings, but I supposed I could have used any one of the regular 4 strings. I used two old bass tuning pegs. I have a couple pictures of it on my page here.

http://www.cigarboxnation.com/photo/gorilla-bass-003a?context=user

This reply was deleted.